Free Beer on Pontiac Lake

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dyeguy1212

Reaction score
Had a tournament on Pontiac Lake last night. Ran into an old friend, some trailer trash SOB we met at the first tournament. He recognized us, and threw a full beer at my head. Luckily dodged it, and even more luckily, caught our first keeper right in front of him.

Long story short, we just kept our mouths shut while this guy insisted we perform acts to ourselves for fishing around his docks. I flipped a brushhog under the dock he was standing on, and he threw a full beer at me. I told him to get back to his trailer before he goes to jail, he told me he was a millionaire, and I said that's why you're drinking Bud Light.

Normally would have called the cops in an instant, but for whatever reason I didn't. I'm sure he'll harass someone else, and spend some time in a different type of metal enclosure.

What a night :roll:

Yeah, I love those guys that get all bent out of shape when you fish their dock. Did you make him watch you drink his beer?

We got some folks around her that do that. I see both sides of the coin, but there's no sense in the way some act. We had a dude down here, a preacher mind you, that just came out and shot some boys fishin his dock. I try not to get in a p***ing contest with these kinda people cause they won't listen to reason anyway.
I had a dude come out the tues night walk all the way to his dock and turn the dock light off just so I would quit fishing around his dock. I went a little ways up to another dock light only to see knuckle head come back out and turn the light back on.

free jonboat said:
do they not know that any dock that is on public water is open to the public?

Nope... people with lakefront property think they own a certain amount of water in front of their land... I looked into it, and its not the case (at least in MI). If I pay the DNR 24 bucks to fish public waters, I'll fish every inch of it. If that water happens to flow under your dock, you'll just have to put up with me being there.

dyeguy1212 said:
free jonboat said:
do they not know that any dock that is on public water is open to the public?

Nope... people with lakefront property think they own a certain amount of water in front of their land... I looked into it, and its not the case (at least in MI). If I pay the DNR 24 bucks to fish public waters, I'll fish every inch of it. If that water happens to flow under your dock, you'll just have to put up with me being there.

Yep - property law 101 you do not own the water in front of your cottage/house. In fact usually the shore front is actually owned by the crown/state and them docks are actually on land not even owned by the cottage owner.

we have a few of those winners here too. They threaten us with "I am calling the police" at that point we pull out our cell phones and call ourselves. At that point they panic. Then the cops come and tell the owner nicely that they do not own the lake or a drop of that water.

Dock owners on KY and Barkley lakes can actually get a lease on the water rights around them and prohibit fishing.

It created quite the stink when the TVA and Corps decided to let them do that.

Luckilly, I think it must be pretty high because you don't hear of anyone outside of the big docks and resorts doing it. There are a couple of those that block off huge expanses of what was once productive water by doing it, though.

dyeguy1212 said:
Had a tournament on Pontiac Lake last night. Ran into an old friend, some trailer trash SOB we met at the first tournament. He recognized us, and threw a full beer at my head. Luckily dodged it, and even more luckily, caught our first keeper right in front of him.

Long story short, we just kept our mouths shut while this guy insisted we perform acts to ourselves for fishing around his docks. I flipped a brushhog under the dock he was standing on, and he threw a full beer at me. I told him to get back to his trailer before he goes to jail, he told me he was a millionaire, and I said that's why you're drinking Bud Light.

Normally would have called the cops in an instant, but for whatever reason I didn't. I'm sure he'll harass someone else, and spend some time in a different type of metal enclosure.

Wow... You know, I have seen guys get their panties in a bunch and threaten, but I have never seen someone throw a full beer can before. I don't know what I would do in that situation... Part of me thinks it would be terribly difficult to not pull my boat right up to the dock and level the guy right then and there...

Good on you for keeping your cool!

breachless said:
dyeguy1212 said:

Wow... You know, I have seen guys get their panties in a bunch and threaten, but I have never seen someone throw a full beer can before. I don't know what I would do in that situation... Part of me thinks it would be terribly difficult to not pull my boat right up to the dock and level the guy right then and there...

Good on you for keeping your cool!

Haha thanks.. My buddy wanted blood more than I did (surprisingly). I just wanted to see the guy go away in cuffs.

The only good thing is, all his neighbors came out to see it. So when he does finally get the cops called on him, and they question the neighbors, this past indecent is likely to come up as well :wink:

I have had to make that fact know to quite a few lakefront land owners, citing to them that they had to get a permit to build the dock and the water under it not theirs. Now I have seen some anglers hit the docks and the boats tied to them (fished as coangler with a guy who hit like 5 or boats, I wished I coulda swam home) in which case the owner has a legitimate gripe but I understand a guy getting out for a second to get a $25 hard bait unhung or get the hook off the dock so the owner won't find it the hard way. Some folks are just unreasonable, but your right, I have had some come down watch me fish and tell me where they put out cover. I've even had one guy and his wife offer me lunch.

I've had two sunbathing gay guys try to talk to me while fishing their dock (For the last time EVER I might add... ).

I've had lots of people tell me what they catch around their dock or where they sunk brush piles.

Had one guy wave at me while he was making love to his woman against a window...

Lots of friendly people out there...

A buddy and I were night fishing once when we saw 2 sets of headlights pull into the marina parking lot across the lake from us. It was about 1 am. 5 minutes or so later, we heard an inboard V8 fire up in the marina and start down the lake towards us. We were just trolling and beating the bank south and across the lake and had killed the lights to keep the bugs off of us while we fished. The boat eventually came to a stop about 150 yards out in the lake from us and less than 5 minutes later, they were going to town. Of course, it was dark so you couldn't see but the sound effects left nothing to the imagination.

They eventually fired the boat and made about 5 big circles up and down the lake, back to the marina for about 2 minutes and then pulled into the mouth of a cove directly in front of us (maybe 50 yards this time.. just far enough to make out the outline of the boat) and commenced on round 2. :shock:

We stopped forward progress so that we didn't run right up on them and then flipped on the lights and gave them a standing ovation as soon as they finished. :lol:

My buddy and I laughed about that the rest of the night and wondered where they were actually supposed to be given the time of night and whole situation in general.

Latest posts