"The Twins"

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rook

Reaction score
We decided to try a new area out Sat night and was in the water at about 7ish. We were graciously met with a pretty stout ESE wind which would end up working in our favor a little. It had most of the areas I was interested in looking at blown out but there was plenty of real estate where we could get out of the wind.

First spot we picked up 3 in short order before the water got murky. Hit up spot two and poled for a while and picked up 5 more. The average was pretty good as most of the fish were 16"-20". When we headed to spot three things slowed down quite a bit with me missing two decent fish for one reason or another, and having a good hour where all we spotted were itty bittys.

But boy how things can turn around in an instant. We pulled up to spot four to find plenty of protected clear water. Just one of those places where you look around and you say, "If I were a big ol flattie this is where I would be." We didnt have to go far before we picked up a good 20"er, and I missed another swimming. (I forgave myself for that one as he was hauling arse!) As we were easing along the bank I hear a shout come from my partner and before I can turn to look he hammers down on a fish. With what little glimpse I got of him before he was lost in the murk he looked to be a fine fish. In all the excitment Mitch didnt see the another good fish just another five feet ahead. So I graciously stuck him while he tried to wrestle his in the boat. When that fish came over into the boat we both liked to wet ourselves. I didnt have anything to measure and/or weigh the fish on board but we were guessing in the 9-9.5lbs range.

Well after all the high fives and the excitement was over we both returned to the bow to pole on. As we were poling through the same area the big fish was gigged Mitch decided to step down and take a good pic of his trophy. I stayed on the bow and went along poling. After poling not 30 yards I catch a glimps of what looks to be another nice fish, not as big as the other but big none the less. I take aim and hit him right through head/gillplate and nothing. No moving or splashing around, nothing. At this point I start to get nervous as I can not see the bottom and I cant feel the fish on the gig and the more I think back to the picture in my head the bigger in my mind the fish gets. I very carefully pull my gig up only to find nothing on the end. My heart sinks as I look around for a vapor trail in the surrounding clear water and I see nothing. Confused I look back down at the murky water and a tail slowly drifts up to the surface. I gig blindly at the fish and pull him up with no fight. Amazingly I had killed him stone cold dead the first time and only caught him with two prongs. Never-the-less he was in the boat and much to my suprise was just as big as my partners. The celebration at this point went to a whole new level. We had just gigged two stud fish back to back with-in 40 yards from each other. Didnt get a chance to measure or weigh the fish until this morning. They are now what we are calling "The Twins" Mitchells fish was 25 1/2" long and weighed 8lbs 6oz and my fish was 25" long and weighed 8lbs 6oz. Both weighed the EXACT same. WOW, what a night. Ended up with 17 overall with two wall hangers.

c883e256.jpg

02c4940b.jpg

bed4696c.jpg

d85ad22f.jpg

c324cf88.jpg

c91aae46.jpg

e6f45b3c.jpg

92caf5b5.jpg
[/

Nice report! I must head south and try this some day. Can you catch these the conventional way? You know...with a rod and reel?

Very nice catches! Love the photos. I've never fished in 'bama, but after seeing those it does make me want to take a road trip...

Call me dumb, but what kind of fish are those? You called them "Flatties?"

[/quote]
Flounder[/quote]

Okay... I kinda thought that, but my only experience with Flounder was from watching "The Little Mermaid" with my nephews and nieces!!!

Call me dumb x 2...I had no idea what kind of fish they were...but maybe being from Wisconsin and never traveling down south, I kinda maybe shouda not knowed what they was....

Nice fish.... =D>

The only experiance I have ever had with Flounder was watching the movie Animal House....

Outdoorsman.

Ok I will admit than when I read the title of this post I could not help but think of my fovorite "Twins" picture from bluegill fishing in Wisconsin...

Outdoorsman.

Attachments

• bluegillsmay2010003.jpg
    bluegillsmay2010003.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 297
fender66 said:
Nice report! I must head south and try this some day. Can you catch these the conventional way? You know...with a rod and reel?

10-4 on catching them on rod and reel. It takes some practice though, they bite very soft and very slow. They are hard to hook if they are bicatch because of the way they bite, after you get a hit you have to wait 10-15 seconds before you set the hook. They grab the bait and settle on the bottom before they slowly take the bait fully in there mouth. They are fun to catch when you are targeting them, but it takes some patience. The bigger ones of the year come from gigging though.

Flounder are a blast to catch and delicious.
I have never tried gigging them but I have always wanted to.

When are the best times of the year to gig?

Latest posts