Yet another local river arvo session

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fisch

Reaction score
The missus and myself headed out for another flick this afternoon and yet again the local river did not dissapoint. This time we ended up getting mostly sooty grunter as apposed to last week when jungle perch were thick. The size of the sooties were really good today as well with a couple fish around the 1 to 1.5 kg mark which is really good for this river. Im going to have to start cutting back on the amount of tips i give the missus now as well cause she is casting well and getting nearly as many fish as me now too (u would all agree if it gets to the point that she out fishes me she stays at home) lol. Any way we had a great little trip we saw a few crocs as well to top it off which is always a real buzz. I hope this might warm ya sprits over there.

fish

PS i think i might have an addiction to surface fishing i have always loved it but i havent touched anything else for a month now

Attachments

• SDC10361.JPG
    SDC10361.JPG
    183.6 KB · Views: 160
  • SDC10362.JPG
    SDC10362.JPG
    195.5 KB · Views: 160
  • SDC10365.JPG
    SDC10365.JPG
    190.1 KB · Views: 160
  • SDC10367.JPG
    SDC10367.JPG
    193.7 KB · Views: 160
Way to go fisch!

I wouldn't worry about Mrs. Fisch out catching you. God/Karma makes sure that the other half always catches the biggest fish just to keep us grounded. Be prepared. :)

Topwater is lots of fun!

well rather then start another post i just thought id add to this one. we went down to secret spot X again this afternoon after a great session yesterday and after a slow start all hell broke loose and the fish went crazy the missus was the first to hook up and WHAT a fish! a beautyful crimson red mangrove jack that destroyed her little popper. In the next 100m of river bank i got 2 really nice sooties and i was over the moon with them till i got my biggest mangrove jack on a popper! the fish smashed my popper only 5m from the boat and missed and all it took was 2 little flicks of the wrist and back he came not missing this time. I was so lucky to land this fish as they are renowned for the dirty fighing tatics but i hooked him over a weed bed rather then a snag so i soon had him out in the middle middle of the river and in the landing net.
The reason the fish went crazy was there was a massive thunder storm which ment we had to cut the session short which was a bummer but for 2 hrs on the water it was a great little fish before work tomorrow

Attachments

• SDC10368.JPG
    SDC10368.JPG
    196.3 KB · Views: 141
  • SDC10371.JPG
    SDC10371.JPG
    191.3 KB · Views: 141
  • SDC10372.JPG
    SDC10372.JPG
    196.7 KB · Views: 141
  • SDC10376.JPG
    SDC10376.JPG
    218.1 KB · Views: 141
  • bigjack.jpg
    bigjack.jpg
    208.8 KB · Views: 141
Mate its the mighty Mulgrave river you can find it on google earth but its mainly under a cloud which is a bummer. The offer is there for anyone that wants to come over to oz ill happily take like minded anglers fishing all day the only catch is im purely catch and release (they are all to good to catch once). Believe it or not the river is only 40mins from cairns which is a mayor town and im yet to see anyone else fishing the upper reaches which baffles me.

Sounds good! I like catch and release too, only keep some to eat occasionally - here, mainly bluegills, yellow perch, and crappies for eating. I like most fish though. That reddish one looks like a real fighter! I understand about there not being many fishermen on the river. Seems like now days, fishing has lost some interest for a lot of people. In my home state - Georgia - they published a couple of years ago that the sales of fishing and hunting licenses were down a lot. Good for people like us...

I do travel internationally often, mainly Japan, Thailand, but don't ever get down under any more. I have fished a lot in Japan, in ocean and lakes and rivers. In ocean, I caught a bream like fish called mejina in Japanese, also mullet. In lakes, bluegills and bass; in rivers I fished for a char type fish called iwana, and also trout - rainbows. Actually, the biggest bluegill and rainbow trout I ever caught was in Japan. I never have a camera with me, so no photos!!

Anyway, I love these posts from other parts of world. Keep 'em coming!! And, save some for seed!

Great report fisch.....Are you trying to make me jealous and rub it in that you have fishing weather and I don't? :shock:

Keep 'em coming. Cool looking fish too.

Latest posts