Noodling

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BaitCaster

Reaction score
I watched a documentary on National Geographic yesterday about "noodling" for flathead cats. basically, you jump in a muddy river with nothing but your swim shorts. Then you start reaching under rocks and into brush piles in the hope that a big cat bites your hand, or you shove your fist into the fish's mouth - then the fight is on. Hand to hand combat with a 50 lb cat! Sometimes takes two guys to fight the fish.

I've seen it done. Very crazy if you ask me.

Not long ago, I saw a documentary on it too. They were having a tournament and there weren't any rods or reels. :shock:

I went a few years ago with a few of my friends in a big creek that ran through their property. They had sank some 55 gallon drums for the catfish to spawn in. After watching them do it a few times, it was my turn!

So I knelt down (my mouth barely above the water), reached in and felt a head. She clamped down on my hand and immediately started rolling. She had my arm twisted to where I though it was going to either break my arm or pull my shoulder out of socket. Luckily she let go. It took two of us to get her out the barrel. She ended up weighing 52lbs!

Ended up catching like 10 that day. A couple in the 20lb range but most around 10lbs.

Have not been since but would love to go again!

Yah.... "Okie Noodlin"

My favorite part of the entire movie was the size of the CHAW that the weigh-in announcer had in his mouth. Looked like he had a tennis ball lodged in his cheek.

Brine said:
Yah.... "Okie Noodlin"

My favorite part of the entire movie was the size of the CHAW that the weigh-in announcer had in his mouth. Looked like he had a tennis ball lodged in his cheek.

Funny you say that about the chaw. I laughed out loud when I saw that part. He was screaming and so darn excited. :LOL2:

One of the guys here at work has it in his head that I'm into noodling. To him fishing = noodling. I'm pretty sure he does it just to annoy me. There is no way in H E double L that I'm going to stick my hand under a bank and let a catfish bite my hand... who's catching who?

I saw a show last weekend or the one before where a couple of guys from Arkansas went to Europe somewhere and were doing that. Those guys stuck there feet under there to get them to bite....I'm with you Poolie -- who is catching who??? :)

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=207991#p207991 said:
Waterwings » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:53 am[/url]"]Tinboats has it's own resident noddler..............................Quackrstackr! :)

:wink:

A couple from this weekend. The yellow one nearly broke two fingers on my left hand and not 20 minutes later the dark one nearly broke the same two on the right hand. I've been nursing ice packs for 2 days. :x

Attachments

• IMG953193.jpg
    IMG953193.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 1,020
  • IMG953196.jpg
    IMG953196.jpg
    343.1 KB · Views: 1,020
Ok Riverbottom, I have no problem spearfishing with big ole bull sharks.....my .223 will take care of them. I have to say that you guys are absolutely nuts......snakes scare the crap out of me and I could not imagine grabbing a pissed off beaver. Looks like yall have a good time though.

Latest posts