7/18 Fishing on Private Lake

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iczer

Reaction score
The family went over to the mother in law's house for dinner and she lives on a private lake and it just happened to be fishing night so we brought our gear. The only boat available was a pontoon boat so we just cast off the dock which is usually very good fishing anyway and dang we ripped the fish up. The kids pooped out after about 5 casts so it was just me and my brother-in-law Kirk... which was rather funny because he picked up my 3 year old's sponge bob spincast pole, about 2 feet long and put a banjo minnow on it.

It was very thick with weeds about 1 foot down to the bottom, which was around 5-8 feet. So Kirk was hitting all the adjacent shoreline and docks out 20 yards or so and I was on the end of the docks casting out in an arc. I started with a 5" watermelon/red flake dinger, texas rigged, on 4/0 hook and 12lb line ... had a few fat rock bass from that and then Kirk started catching 6-7" largemouth close to shore and next to the neighbors docks. I kept getting most action on the inside edge of the heavy weed lines and largemouth started hitting my dinger on the retrieve so I switched to a baitcast with 3/8 oz yellow/blue spinnerbait with willow and Colorado blades. BAM ... just about every 2nd or 3rd cast I'd get a hit burning it just over the weeds in front of the docks. On the 6th one that was jumping all over it darted under a pontoon boat and my line buried strait into the prop of the motor and whatever else was there and broke. Bye bye spinnerbait hehe ... so I went back to the dinger for lack of a better lure (I didn't bring my full tackle box because I was only going for a few hrs).

The grand total for the 3 hours we fished was:
Kirk: 6 Largemouth and 3 Rock Bass
Me: 8 Largemouth and 4 Rock Bass

That lake is so ridiculous, I think I could catch fish on a bare hook and a shoestring. They bite anything and everything.

Latest posts