OMG Huge Hawg Perch bite is on!!!!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wallijig

Reaction score
All I can say is wow. when thought fishing could not get better the huge hawgs took off this weekend. Most were around 14" and 2 lbs. did see a few that were pushing 15" and 3 lbs. When a school of these come threw one would catch 5-30 of these one after another. Could not even come close to tell you how many fish we caught and released. We all did go home with our 15 perch limit with no problems.
We were fishing Glacier lakes up in NE South Dakota with my buddy who is guide in area.
Here's my uncle with one of his dandies and some of his catch.

IMG_0368_1_.JPG

IMG_0370_1_.JPG

Here's one of mine & my bucket full. You know they are dandy perch when 15 of them fill a 5 gallon pail like that.

IMG_0379_1_.JPG

IMG_0381_1_.JPG

Fridays Catch
IMG_0365_1_.JPG

My Saturday's Catch. did keep couple smaller ones, due to hooking to deep and would not make it if released.
IMG_0372_1_.JPG

crazymanme2 said:
What where you using for bait?
It did not matter really once school come in they would hit anything.
My uncle and I were using a perch/gold kastmaster with chain and single hook tipped with wax worm.

HOLLY COW...wish we can catch those size perch down here in Va. I use to go perch fishing when I lived in Ohio out on Lake Erie and fill up a cooler to the top. Two us of would get about 40lbs. of nice size fillets, but nothing that size. Way to go.

When they're in they're in! That's one nice thing about living up nort'.

So how did the spring equinox treat you? I knew spring had sprung when I saw the -12 on my truck thermostat. LOL! 8)

Now I see why people fish for perch. Where I live we start kids fishing for them cause they are fairly easy to catch, but not worth while. I've never seen them that big. Very nice catch.

Down in se part of SD the ice fishing is pretty much over. Shorelines open we are waiting for rest to open up for open water fishing. However up in NE where those perch were caught still over 30" of ice. Perch still biting. Guessing they will be on ice easy to mid April if not 1st part of May.

Latest posts