Do fish really like worms???

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richg99

Reaction score
The last two paragraphs are very interesting, especially if you are a bass fisherman.

richg99

https://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2015/03/fish-really-like-eating-earthworms/

Interesting!
Many years ago when the June Bug spinner was popular for walleyes, an old guy in Canada suggested to use them with a piece of red porkrind and a nightcrawler trailing off the hook/hooks. See um (red), smell um (nightcrawler), hear um (vibration from blade), was what he used to describe why to set it up this way. Seems like almost all modern worm harnesses for walleyes are still based on that same principle, and there is something hanging off the hook/hooks to provide scent.

richg99 said:
The last two paragraphs are very interesting, especially if you are a bass fisherman.

richg99

https://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2015/03/fish-really-like-eating-earthworms/

I remember we were fishing after a flood a few years ago. We caught cats that were about to bust with worms. I would guess it is the natural instincts that take over. I know those cats took advantage.

I have a book on fishing published in the late 60's or early 70's titled "Lunkers Love Nightcrawlers".
I have taken lots of advice from those pages and scored on many a large fish. Yep, they like big worms!

It seems they really really really do like worms. The bigger question is Why do they like worms so much? Who cares why, lets just go fishing with worms! LOL

mirroman said:
I have a book on fishing published in the late 60's or early 70's titled "Lunkers Love Nightcrawlers".
I have taken lots of advice from those pages and scored on many a large fish. Yep, they like big worms!

Cherish that book.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0317910701/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

Only 3.99 shipping!

When I was younger and fished lakes and ponds we always went for crickets and grasshoppers, always got a hit on them, never went looking for worms unless we crapped out on finding the jumpers.

especially considered the fish still loved the worm-shaped, scentless, plastic when it was motionless. Was it because they are just naturally curious, seeing a completely new object and having the built in reflex to see if it’s edible?

Interesting article. Bass will attack anything that they can fit in their mouth for the most part. I like to think that finesse worms are almost like a snack for them.

One of the best ways to catch big trout over 20 inches in lakes is to use a part of a nightcrawler fihsed straight out with the hook exposed. To a fish it looks like a leech but smells right. In the spring, when the water is cold they can be fished right on the surface. The nightcralwer can be inflated with a syringe so it floats. Then it can be still fished from shore with a lead weight slip sinker. When the fish hits it will not feel the weight and readily take the worm.

Live bait!!!! Oh my God!!!

Ha ha... Good suggestion. I always thought that live bait was for......
People who wanted to catch fish!!!!

I am actually considering using live shrimp once again here on the Texas salt flats. Used to catch a lot of fish that way.

richg99

I have a medium fish tank under our house that I use to test lures I tie. I look at the diff actions of diff feathers/hair/fibers with diff head weights I pour compared with diff hook sizes.
We have water in our "back yard" ( think bayou/ swamp) 6 months outta the yeAr I guess.

The boys have started wanting to keep sunfish as pets. Fine by me.
But what I've observed from feeding them is that worms...... are 2nd on the feeding frenzy scale. They go crazy for um as they're dropping and undulating. If they're dead or stiff, they usually make it to the bottom and our crawfish get em. Most of the time that's our night crawlers. The red wiggles never reach bottom.... especially if there's a baby black "crappie" in there. If I catch any baby white "crappie", they may starve n die if I don't scoop up some minnows to put in.

Grass shrimp last maybe 3-6 seconds.... if they're crafty.
Nothing beats a grass shrimp in my tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

richg99 said:
Live bait!!!! Oh my God!!!

Ha ha... Good suggestion. I always thought that live bait was for......
People who wanted to catch fish!!!!

I am actually considering using live shrimp once again here on the Texas salt flats. Used to catch a lot of fish that way.

richg99

This lady lost her hand fishing with shrimp.
https://www.hattiesburgamerican.com/story/news/local/2017/07/11/prick-shrimp-leads-infection-flesh-eating-bacteria-petal-woman/455312001/

Wow. I hadn't seen that article.

Yes, that Vibro has wrecked havoc on the Gulf Coast for years. I had read that Vibro mostly attacked people with low immune systems. It also festered in back water sloughs.

Thanks for the warning. richg99

Fish up north - nature isn't trying to kill you constantly here!

No Gators
No Cottonmouths/Rattlesnakes
No strange flesh eating diseases
No 110 degree 95% humidity sweltering heat

onthewater102 said:
Fish up north - nature isn't trying to kill you constantly here!

No Gators
No Cottonmouths/Rattlesnakes
No strange flesh eating diseases
No 110 degree 95% humidity sweltering heat

No Sportsman's Paradise either!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of the effective ways to fish worms, is to use half a night crawler. Bury the shank of the hook in the worm and let the hook show. Fish interpret this presentation as a leech and it looks natural in a lake. The way not to fish worms is to wrap one around a hook into a gop.

Latest posts