Finally started catching some fish, again.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richg99

Reaction score
I met an 83-year-old fisherman on the dock the other day. He is well known for catching a 9 lb (big for here) bass on my favorite lake a few years ago. He has been catching a ton of fish for years. Last year, his wife talked him into selling his boat.

I had met him once or twice before and we talked. Saturday, he had his van parked next to where I parked mine. He was fishing off of one of our docks. We stuck up a conversation and he told me the story of his boat. The bottom line was I invited him to join me in my boat for a few hours of fishing.

Well, he put on a show. He caught 7 bass, including one very big one, while I sat ten feet away and caught one. Even the one that I caught wasn't mine until I switched to the lure/worm that he was using, and fished it as he was fishing.

I have been doing everything wrong on these deep, and clear lakes. They are nothing like the Wisconsin/Illinois lakes that I fished up North. Fred taught me that I had to fish deep. 25 feet or more! I had to use thin, almost invisible Fluorocarbon lines, and I had to use small plastic worms. We will fish again!

Using his techniques, I returned to the same lake the next morning and caught two nice bass. Then, my wife Sue volunteered to ride along with me on Sunday evening, and I caught four more, including a fat one! She was the head-netter!

Today, in between the rains, I fished twice and caught another 7 bass, all pretty good sized. Thirteen bass in about 8 total hours of fishing is way better than I have been doing here.

The man is a marvel! I have to change my ways, but at least I can catch a few fish now!

Great stuff. Always good to learn

What is the forage where you are? I would think that a drop shot might work for that deeper fish

Fished a drop shot today for a half hour or so. Caught ONE bass, and that one chased the hook and worm up nearly to the surface.

Every other one of the 17 bass (SEVENTEEN) LM bass caught so far in 3 days, using the guy's method, was caught on the same Texas rig with a skinny worm on it.
Strange, but true.

Thanks for the great report and good to hear you are on the fish. I've been in fishing doldrums for the past few outings. This gives me some additional motivation to get out and mix things up.

Latest posts