Day of frustration

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slim357

Reaction score
I go out this morning around 5am, tossed a spro popin frog for about 2 hours, and although I didnt catch a fish I learn from my mistakes. First off I'll never be using braided line again with this bait. In the short time I was out I musta missed over 10 fish. The problem was that fish wouldnt hit my bait when it was sitting still, and thanks to braids no stretch, I was pullin my bait right outa there mouths. On the plus side I noticed a pic on my camera from about a week ago I forgot to post, nothin spectacular, but it woulda kept, lets see if you guys can guess what bait that is hanging out its mouth.
fatboy.jpg

Topwater frogs are probably my favorite bait to fish. In my opinion you are definently best off with braid fishing a frog. You are going to need it to horse that big one out of the vegetation (I'm assuming you aren't using these in open water). What works best for me is to resist the urge to set the hook as soon as you get a strike. Wait a second or 2 until he pulls the bait down and you actually can feel the fish on your rod. After you feel him put the rod tip down and give it a big boat rocking hookset (another advantage of braid). You're still gonna miss some strikes, that's the nature of frogs, but once I started waiting to set the hook it improved my odds significantly. Hope you have better luck next time, nothing beats a big topwater explosion on a frog.

nice fish slim.... looks like some type stick bait too me...I use braid exclusively for frog fishing... not trying to tell ya how my friend would never do that to another bassinman ... i have found with braid and frogs its more of a reel then set motion myself werks for me and could be me only LOL good luck my friend we all have days like that tho... god be with you all... jigster60

lets see if you guys can guess what bait that is hanging out its mouth.

Ummmm...thats a fatboy :D

Topwater frogs are probably my favorite bait to fish. In my opinion you are definently best off with braid fishing a frog. You are going to need it to horse that big one out of the vegetation (I'm assuming you aren't using these in open water). What works best for me is to resist the urge to set the hook as soon as you get a strike. Wait a second or 2 until he pulls the bait down and you actually can feel the fish on your rod. After you feel him put the rod tip down and give it a big boat rocking hookset (another advantage of braid). You're still gonna miss some strikes, that's the nature of frogs, but once I started waiting to set the hook it improved my odds significantly. Hope you have better luck next time, nothing beats a big topwater explosion on a frog.

What he said, you just gotta wait to feel the fish, then slam them. I hate bronzeye frogs, compared to swamp donkeys, the hookup is awful.

Just to add to the froggin, if you are actively moving the frog when the fish hits, you are far more likely to miss the fish. I assume you are fishing the potomac, and grassy areas, so the fish are probably blowing up on the frog rather than sucking them down. If they suck them down you will almost always hook up, if they just blow up on the frog they don't always have the frog in their mouth, so just wait till you feel them. If you don't feel them just let the bait sit, then work it fast as if it is trying to escape. They will most likely hit the frog again if they don't feel the hooks.

jkbirocz said:
Just to add to the froggin, if you are actively moving the frog when the fish hits, you are far more likely to miss the fish. I assume you are fishing the potomac, and grassy areas, so the fish are probably blowing up on the frog rather than sucking them down.
I like walking frogs, so there almost always moving in holes and breaks in the grass. This time of year the grass is really thick and almost impossible to pull fish out of, next time I head out ill snap some pics to show you what im fishing. For the most part only the little fish blow up on them, ever decent fish Ive had has sucked them down barely breaking the surface of the water.

But I got in a little redemption this morning but it was short lived. Headed back to the same spot as last time but spooled up with some 20lb yozuri hybrid, im out of the good stuff right now (trilene). Had one fish miss my frog, and had one other inhale it sadly it was about a 8 or 9lb snake head, and of course I didnt have my camera or phone with me #-o Worst thing is it got my second favorite frog a black popin bronze eye it lasted through 2 smaller snakeheads (and a bunch of bass) but this one had it deep. But the line had no problem bringing in the fish and the 10lbs or so of slop with it, now i gotta try to find some extra long pliers for the next time.

Nice fish slim! I dont ever use braied line for that exact reason, I have lost to many fish that way.

Latest posts