Baitcaster

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bandgeek1263

Reaction score
Anyone have a suggestion for a decent baitcaster? I don't want to spend more than about $100.
For the past few years, I've been using a Pinnacle Platinum Baitcaster, and I liked it once I got used to it. The drag finally blew out on it, so I think I need a replacement.

If your set on new, You might look into a BPS Extreme, I don't have one....but I know alot of people like them.

If your not against finding a good used reel, There should be quite abit you could get for under $100. I would suggest trying to find one of the older "Green" Curado B's, I have a 200 SF(Super Free) and I love it, I got it for $60-70 bucks when I got it and I couldn't be happier...really great reels.

A Shimano Citica for $120 is a really good reel.

I bought one a few months ago and I love it! :mrgreen:

Huge bump the the extreme combos... on sale for 100 bucks at bps right now

I have two and love them... almost as must as my st. croix mojos.... :wink:

buying a used reel can be a good deal.. I picked up a few last year. and have had no trouble with them.

I never pay more that half the price of the new reel

You should be able to pickup a new or slightly used Shimano Citica 200E off eBay for under a $100 and they are worth every penny. Splurge a couple extra bucks and go for the Curadu 200E7, it's even better.

Might want to take a look at the BPS Pro Qualifier. I have one and love it. The older Curado is nice too. They can be found on ebay at good prices. I was of the same opinion of buying used reels until I got the Curado off ebay. Just check the sellers feedback and that will give a good idea of you can expect. I also have a BPS Extreme that is a nice reel.

Academy had the citica's for 99.00, I do not think they are that great myself. I have 2 of them, Maybe i need to tinker with them some more..

bandgeek1263 said:
Anyone have a suggestion for a decent baitcaster? I don't want to spend more than about $100.
For the past few years, I've been using a Pinnacle Platinum Baitcaster, and I liked it once I got used to it. The drag finally blew out on it, so I think I need a replacement.

Explain more what it is doing? IS the drag not working at all, or is it back reeling?

How about an Abu Garcia Pro Max for $45?

s7_122896_imageset_01

Bugpac said:
bandgeek1263 said:

Explain more what it is doing? IS the drag not working at all, or is it back reeling?

Last year, I had a couple of monster fish strike my line and let go immediately. After about 5 casts to the same spot and every time a fish striking, I finally set the hook, or so I thought. In the middle of fighting the fish, my reel completely let go of any tension it had on the line. Later, it held the line, but when I reeled in quickly and eased up tension the line ran quickly back out. I think it is back reeling. OR I think the drag just finally crapped out after fishing hard for a few years. Just my thought. But, now that Christmas is coming up, I thought i might ask "santa" for a new setup.

Bugpac, what don't you like about the Citica? Personally, until I figured out the Pinnacle that I had, I hated it.

Also, what are some good lines and rods to look at?

I found a Curado 200e7 on ebay for 150. I think I am gunna spring for it, and it comes with a spool of Power Pro Spectra line.

but, just to be sure,

Curado 200e7 OR

Citica

I had some reels that back reeled, the handle would actually spin backwards, I cleaned the side cover bearing "One way Bearing" which gives the anti reverse and they are like new reels.. On the citicas i just expected more, I am fishing them with 10lb line, I am gonna up it to 12 and see if i like it any better. Once i tune the brake maybe it will cast better.

I bought two Citicas last year for Christmas - used them all summer without a problem at all. I like them. This year I bought that BPS combo on sale for $99 that someone here mentioned - the extreme rod is the same as the two I bought last year so I'll be happy with them. The reel was the BPS extreme baitcast w/flipping switch - 7.1:1, #ETX10SHC. Good price, good reviews, price alone for the reel is $79.99. The rod alone is $60 on sale (reg $90). Combo is a good deal if you like them???
Looking forward to trying it out in the spring. Don't know if this helps or not - just figured I'd post it FYI.

bandgeek1263 said:
I found a Curado 200e7 on ebay for 150. I think I am gunna spring for it, and it comes with a spool of Power Pro Spectra line.

but, just to be sure,

Curado 200e7 OR

Citica

I'd go with the Curado. I looked at the same deal on ebay and I may jump on that as well. Let us know how you like the Curado.

I've got several of both and am very happy with both models, but if I could only have one it would have to be the Curadu.

bandgeek1263 said:

but, just to be sure,

Curado 200e7 OR

Citica

Latest posts