New spinning rod build.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shfishinsticks

Reaction score
I have been commissioned, by a member of the boards, to build a rod. I thought it would be cool to post a photo journal of the progress of the build (with his permission, of course), from parts to finished rod.

Blank: Bing SHX SJ-843 (American Tackle Classic ACSJ843) 7'-0" 1pc., Medium-Heavy/Fast, 8-15#, 3/16-3/4oz.
Guides: Fuji Alconite (black)
Reel Seat: American Tackle Aero
Hook Keep: Swampland Tackle Carolina/Dropshot (Kistler style)
Grips: Lamar Exotic Burl

Parts
01parts.jpg

boring the cork rings
02boringcork.jpg

cutting the checkerboard inlays
03cuttingcheckers.jpg

checkerboard inlay before gluing & clamping
04checkers.jpg

So, is this the member of the yr rod? Jim is keeping us in suspense, I like that new banner BTW, i was waiting and waiting for it to turn and say BUGPAC... lol Well thats just a joke, I know that... :)

I use Titebond III. It's waterproof, but very corrosive. I have to get the cork off the mandrel as soon as the glue sets up or rust starts forming in a couple hours.

I wanted to do some work on the rod today, but my photographer (the wife) was at work. I ended up doing the work, but I don't have any work in progress shots.

This is the rough grip prior to rasping, filing and sanding.
07roughgriponlathe.jpg

This is the finished grip after much rasping, some filing and finish sanding.
08finishedgriponlathe.jpg

Last year, I started finishing my grips with a coat of Tru-Oil. I think it gives it a warmer, richer look.
09truoilgrip.jpg

Latest posts