Braided on Spinning reel?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fender66

Reaction score
Okay...after doing a search and being distracted in about a dozen "enjoyable" different directions....I've decided to just post my question.

Anyone ever load braided on a spinning reel rig? I'm really tired of the line memory and twisting. Or...maybe I'll have the same problem with braided??? Answers, thoughts, suggestions???

Yep. I use 10 lb PowerPro on my spinning rig. Love it.

I also use 4lb PowerPro on my ultralite spinning rig. You can barely see it!

BaitCaster said:

I think I know what I'm doing tonight.....any problems with line memory or twisting?

I use 10 lb PowerPro on almost all my spinning reels...much more sensitive, you can feel every bump. Only downsides I can think of are a slight decrease in casting distance, less stretch = lighter drag setting, and you won't be able to "pop" loose hang-ups. You'll probably want to run a non-braid leader, I use 10 lb Vanish...makes it much easier when re-tying plugs. I use a 3-turn uni knot for my braid-to-leader connection, and you'll want to double check that connection since braid can slice thru your leader material depending on the knot you use.

I love braid on my spinning setups, I use 15lb power pro and contrary to the earlier statement I am able to Pop hangups by reeling as much as possible then before the drag kicks in just flip the bail. With the 15lb PP tho most of the time I end up dragging in whatever im hungup on :lol:.

Yup! I got 20lb on both of my spinning rods....love it! I'm like you, I got tired of all the mono memory and line twists. The extra sensitivity is a big plus as well.

I have braid on every rod I own. I top out at 20lb for bass sized spinning gear. For smallies in moving water I use 10, I go no lower than 10lb, it just gets too thin for me. I use leaders for all techniques except frogs, buzzbaits, and spinnerbaits, but then I am also using a baitcaster. I have no problems popping out snags like stated before though. I love braid, I cannot deal with mono as a mainline anymore, it drives me crazy.

jkbirocz said:
I use leaders for all techniques except.......

So, to you guys that are using leaders.....how long are they? I've never used a leader before. I did wind a spool tonight w/ PowerPro. Hopefully I'll get to try it out later this week.

Leaders....so many answer. It depends on a lot of things. With crankbaits I use long leaders, to still give some stretch. Everything else generally around 3ft. If you are fishing really rocky areas, I usually go longer just to give more abrasion resistance. I fished straight braid without leaders for three or four years and still caught fish. Once I started using them I couldn't fish without them, it just gives the extra confidence that your line is "invisible" to the fish. I personally feel that most of the time the fish don't care about seeing the line, and that it has more to do with the sink rate. Since braid floats it slows the sink rate. This is another reason to use longer leaders in moving water. I use 20lb mono leaders for everything in lakes and 12lb flouro in rivers and creeks. There is no method to my madness...thats just what I use. I like the heavy leaders cause I am almost always using heavy baits for lake LM. An 8" jd baits fatdaddy on a 7/0 superline gammy will snap 12lb flouro when launched on a long heavy rod #-o

Like most of fishing it is just about experimenting and figuring out what you like to use. Good Luck

I'll usually tie on a leader anywhere from 6-8ft long....that way you can use it awhile(with re-tying and such). Some people don't even use leaders with braids, I just feel abit better of the lack of visibility with the mono/flouro. I use 12lb mono with my 20lb braid.

fender66 said:
BaitCaster said:

I think I know what I'm doing tonight.....any problems with line memory or twisting?

Nope - no problems at all.

fender66 said:
jkbirocz said:
I use leaders for all techniques except.......

So, to you guys that are using leaders.....how long are they? I've never used a leader before. I did wind a spool tonight w/ PowerPro. Hopefully I'll get to try it out later this week.

I only use leaders in really clear water. If so, I use 8 lb fluoro, usually 3 - 4 feet. I try not to use them unless I really have to.

Update:

Last night I fished with my newly loaded spinning reel. (loaded 10lb PowerPro)

I only threw plastics with it last night (except for about 10 casts with a topwater plug before I had to leave)..I fished it without a leader and here's my findings for those that are interested.

Love the way it casts. Travels farther and is quieter than mono. (I have previously been using 8lb mono).

I did have problems seeing my line. The line is nearly the same color as the lake I was fishing. I see pros and cons to this.

It was very hard to free when NOT fishing weedless. I was able to pull a couple pretty big trees up from the water and I had to go retrieve all 3 times. It did not break (not that I wanted it to, but I did give it some good tugging on).

I think I like this braided line. There didn't notice any twisting issues at all. I might be a little more skeptical to fish it on lakes/rivers that I'm not familiar with because of the NON breaking issue...but in those situations....I like the idea of using a leader. I have to give that a try next time. That will be a new concept for me but I'm looking forward to giving it a shot. Anyone tell me what kind of knots you are using for tying your leaders????

Now....if the fish were only biting last night....dad-gum-it!

Thanks for all the advice guys!

I also tie a back to back uni knot. I have had issues with blood knots pulling free when tying braid to mono/flouro. You can experiment with the number of loops you do with each line. I usually go with 5 on each side. When I am using lighter braided line, like 10lb, I do two more loops of the braid than I do with the mono. I have found that the thinner braid can cut the leader line, and that the extra wraps helps with this, probably distributes the load better, but who knows. I always do an odd number of loops, I heard somewhere that even numbers are bad mojo...and I just stuck with that, don't ask me why.

Another really good not is the Alberto knot, but that thing can be a pain to tie and if you make a small mistake you are going to pop the leader.

Worked with a leader tonight and I think I like it...however, I didn't hang up on anything tonight so I didn't get to give it a real "snag" test. That's okay with me too. :D

Latest posts