Anyone buy the BPS Bait Caster Combo?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MadCatX

Reaction score
This one here -

https://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_104163_100003001_100000000_100003000?cmCat=CROSSSELL_THUMBNAIL

I got one for christmas last year. I like it Ok. Keep in mind I fish tournaments so rod weight is a big deal when you cast alot. Having said that the tourney special rods are a little heavy to me but have decent sensitivity. The reel is decent. Takes some fine tuning to get it right or it will lash real bad. All in all a decent combo for the price. If you are fishing for fun it would fit the bill nicely. If you plan on doing any tourney stuff I would suggest the Extreme combo, a little more money but well worth it.

Gunny how would you say it would fare for a beginner? I don't have a lot of experience with one. This will be a for fun rod.

A lot of people seem to like BPS stuff (I have never used any of their stuff). I would think with any first time baitcaster, it's all about dialing it in, and practice. Also, make sure you do not put to much line on the spool. It will jump off and cause some backlashes.

My sister got this combo as her first baitcasting rig. The reel seemed a little cheap-looking to me but it works okay and my ssiter likes it. Not a bad combo if you're just getting into baitcasting.

MadCatX, if i'm not mistaken you live in GA don't you. If that's the case shoot me a PM and I would be glad to let you use the combo to see if you like it. I live near 2 really good lakes and have access to several ponds. But to answer you question, it would be good as first but you can't beat a round Abu reel to learn on. The round Abu reels have only cast control to worry about. The BPS reel has cast control and magnetic brakes but they are not that hard to deal with. I have found with this reel that setting the cast control a little tighter that normal will reduce the lashes and still allow for decent casting distance.

I've heard great things about the BPS Pro Qualifier reels and the Carbonlite rods, but haven't owned/used either, I mostly own Shimano stuff. I'll probably take the plunge after Christmas...if there's any money left for me to launder for fishing goods. :wink:

I can't say enough about carbonlites.. I'm still in the process of replacing all of my rods with them. I currently own 4 or 5, and they are the best thing since sliced bread. Super light and super sensitive, and plenty of backbone. I've only broken one, and that's because I tried to pick it up from under a dock cleat :oops: