Berkley AMP Series Rods?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmm...I was going to splurge on a St. Croix Mojo Bass, but this has got me thinking. Thanks for posting this Bubba.

Here is a write up on them from TackleTour. I like that Lightning Rod ! It would match my new Vision very well. Too bad they dont have a 7 foot Medium.

Jim said:
Never seen that one before. Have you used that AVID yet?

Yup! :mrgreen: It's AWESOME!

Reason i'm thinking about getting one of these though is because I like a shorter rod(6') when fishing the river.

But i've kinda changed my mind on these AMP rods now. I went back to the tackle shop yesterday and gave a second feel to one....it wasn't what I originally thought. I guess I wasn't really giving it much thought when I first felt of the rod....The blank has got that real cheap feel to it, and I don't care for the eyes they use on those Berkley rods. So I don't know about that. #-o

If the tackle shop really wants to sell rods/reels, they will let you mount one of their reels that is similar in weight to what you have and let you get a feel for it before you buy. I test out everything before I buy it because I don't want to deal with returns, especially if it's only because I don't like the way they feel.

I've got 1 lightning rod that I have as a spare incase anything happens to my other nicer rods... They have good hooksets, but the sensitivity is just not as sensitive as I like it - but for $20 (I think the walmart had it mislabeled) it's an awesome rod.

About 2 weeks ago I had read an article in FLW outdoors about the new lightning rod. Supposed to have braid-proof aluminum oxide guides, so you don't have to worry about using braid and screwing up your guides. Personally I have never had a problem with braid burning up guides on any rod I own, but I guess it's whatever you can say to sell something. Looks like more of a back up rod, and not a bad price either.

I really like the Berkley Lightning rods that I own. Got three of them for $13/piece at walmart on clearance.

If you want a cheap, but reasonably good backup rod, the Berkely Cherrywood series at Wallyworld may be worth looking into.

I own a few cherrywood rods as well. They are nice, but have a bit more of a spongy feel to the action compared to the lightning series. I use the cherrywoods for the crankbaits.

bAcKpAiN said:
I own a few cherrywood rods as well. They are nice, but have a bit more of a spongy feel to the action compared to the lightning series..

Thats what I can't stand. I hate fishing with a "spongy rod". Which is why I decide i'm not that crazy about those AMP rods. I've got a Lightning rod, which is a decent rod for the money....but still not really crazy about it which is why I now have it leaning in the corner of my room as a spare if needed.

CTAngler481 said:
Nice, I need new rods, and I am on a college budget! :D

As far as bang for the buck for a budget rod I would have to say the lightning series from berkley get my vote. If you have a Walmart nearbye take slew of them to the self price scanner, you might be surprised at what they ring up at. I have a total of 5 lightning rods, and the most I have spent for any one of them is 13$ from three different WallyWorlds. They might not get you the sensitivity and lightweight feel of a kistler, but if you are like me, having a rod that costs a few hundred $$ is out of the question anyway. I would highly reccomend them for a rod under 30$.

After a run in with my dog and my BPS Graphite Series rod I typically use when river fishing or tossing a fluke......(he bit it in half??? :roll: ) I picked up one of the AMP rods for 19 bucks at Dicks today. Its about the same feel as the Cheapo BPS Graphite Series rod.... we'll see how it handles. I like the fact that it is extremely lightweight and It should handle those river fish nicely.

I don't care for the flashiness of the new Lightning Rod series, but I do like the older ones. Also I like the Cherrywood series. I don't find them all that "spongy"...especially in the MH weight. I'll put a Revo or Chronarch Mg on a Lightning Rod and bank fish with that combo any day. If you catch it on a tree limb or something else happens that is common when fishing from the bank, a broken rod is not a catastrophe. I save my high-dollar rods for fishing from the boat.

I look at these rods as "inexpensive", not "cheap".

I'm like you backpain... I use the cherrywood rods for cranking too been using them for about 4 yrs now... I broke my fav. crankbait rod 4 yrs ago fishing a tourny and had to make a quick replacement the night before the last day of tourny so i went to wally world and purchased one of these not because of the price even tho it is a good one but because it just felt good and that was the only place that was open lol... I was impressed so much that i didn't try to replace my old rod and like i said i been using them ever since go a got a med. for deep cranking and a med. heavy for lipless and shallow cranking... i really like the feel of them and the hook up ratio is just as good as my old rod ... i use a david fritts 4.7.1 for deep cranking and a 6.3.1 for shallow and lipless cranking on them and all i can say WORKS FOR ME lol

I have one of the IM7 Field and Stream rod (dont know the modulus) and i fished it right next to my St. Croix Mojo Bass for months. Now the Mojo has been sold. I really like the Field and Stream rod. It is very well built and sensitivity is good. I got it on close-out for 19.99. Sweet Deal when i liked it better than a 90 dollar rod. Good Spinnerbait rod too.

Latest posts