Question to all

Ice fishing discussions and reports go here.
WiskeyJaR

Question to all

Post by WiskeyJaR »

Here in Oregon its one line, (2 with stamp), and you have to be actively fishing said line(s), can not be more then arms reach from pole or the State police will make your wallet a lot less heavy.

-CN-

Question to all

Post by -CN- »

muzikman wrote:Here in Michigan it's 3 lines in any combination.....been that way a while, I believe.
We do the same in Wisconsin.
2 tip-ups and one jigging pole per person is how we generally meet the restriction.

paper

Question to all

Post by paper »

-CN- wrote:
muzikman wrote:Here in Michigan it's 3 lines in any combination.....been that way a while, I believe.
We do the same in Wisconsin.
2 tip-ups and one jigging pole per person is how we generally meet the restriction.
When I fish in WI (which is where I'm normally fishing) I actually go the other direction and use one tip-up and two jig poles.. Mostly because it's hard to use three jig poles and I'd rather eat panfish than anything else.. I'll drill a couple holes and then one out in front of my shanty to watch through the window.

IL regulations are the same, three poles, any combo.. Limit of two hooks per line.
It says "signature" but when I sign the screen it doesn't show up online.. :wink:

Wallijig

Question to all

Post by Wallijig »

Here in South Dakota we are allowed 4 lines icefishing. I primarily jig, but when setting up for evening on cold nights in fish house I use 3 tip ups with Blue Tipz. Being dark & windows usually fog up and I am focusing on Vexilar, so not looking at tipups and these tell me when have fish on. I use tip ups more as locators, meaning if I get bite on tipup I will go to that hole pull fish out and then jig that hole to see if had any friends swimming down there.
Here's video of what they are:
Lowrance Prostaff Team Member

gnappi

Question to all

Post by gnappi »

I know this is an old post, but even without going on the Florida FWC state site to check regs, I can say for certain we do not have not one single law regarding ice fishing. C'mon down!!! :-)
Regards,

Gary (in South Florida)

paper

Question to all

Post by paper »

:lol:
Oddly enough I've found those same lack of ice fishing rules in Kentucky, where I spend half my time.
On the other hand, I can't jug fish in Wisconsin at all, but I'm allowed 50 in Kentucky.

:shock:
It says "signature" but when I sign the screen it doesn't show up online.. :wink:

Crazyboat

Question to all

Post by Crazyboat »

The last time I ice fished was as a teen, in my part of NJ we didn't know there were laws about fresh water fishing and we'd find a lake in the meadows a few mile walk from our city. We'd take everything we could carry, lines, hooks lures, and a few long screw drivers and a length of rebar to make the holes.

We'd run lines from hole to hole about 10' apart with hooks every foot or so, we'd jig, and anything else we thought would catch us fish. A few times we got lucky, would light a camp fire and cook them right there.

Looking back no0w at us city boys acting like we were Huck Finn, good times, good times! Thanks for bringing back those great memories.

LDUBS

Question to all

Post by LDUBS »

I've never even walked on a frozen over lake much less ice fished. It is so far outside of my experience I'm not sure how I would think about driving a car out on the ice.
Have Rod - Will Fish

InCogKneeToe

Question to all

Post by InCogKneeToe »

Ontario we are allowed 2 hole per license. We use a Tip Up and a Jigging rod, 2 Tip Ups, Willow Branch and a Spool of line (bigger than the hole)

overboard

Question to all

Post by overboard »

You are getting some good answers on here, go on Iceshanty which is a dedicated ice fishing site and there will be tons of info. on there including ice fishing Maine.
Tip ups serve a purpose, but electronics and jigging will put plenty of fish on the ice, the one thing most guys say they wouldn't do without is a fish finder of some type.