popper?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gizfawfish

Reaction score
how fast do I pop my poppers. I've seen people rip them back fastly and I've seen them have aslow retrieve. Also how hard should I pop them. should it be making a splash forward when I jerk it or should it be makinga little bubble pool.

Usually as slow as I can stand it - I will not move a popper on the initial fall until all the rings in the water disappear - then it is 2 or 3 pops and a long pause. I also will just "shake" the popper in place like a nervous frog thrashing around.

I like to fish them slow, throw it out, let it set till the rings disappear, than I dont pop it hard, just enough to make it "bob"(a BOB is different than a Blurp) and let it set again. Its slow but its effective.

I do it both ways sometimes they want it deadly slow and sometimes I never stop the bait...Let the fish tell me....If their chasing shad or frogs or even huge bugs they will hit it moving perty fast sometimes especially in real clear water and ya don't want them to get a real good look at the bait just a reaction bite.....JIggY...Thats my 2 cents :LOL2: ;

I tried the "Urgle" and the "Gluck" sounds with no luck.
For the longest time, I took you rebel's at your word and tried to make the thing "PoP", until I figgerd out y'all dont know a "pop" from a "Blurp" :p

I pop it fairly quick as Jigster said....You don't want them to get to good a look on it. The only thing I ever do is vary the cadence, which typically the fish will dictate what works best.

In low light, and partly stained water I will work it slower. My favorite time to throw a Pop-R is in the heat of summer at night under a full moon. Nothing like topwater bites that you can't see. The bite usually scares me enough to involuntarily set the hook...lol (btw, best to set the hook when you feel the fish, and not before)

And for all the northern mispronunciations of the sound....

It's "Blurrrup" ya'll. :LOL2:

as far a poppers go, I prefer the 3/8 oz. hula popper. they cast like a bullit, and make the "just right" sound. as for speed. for me it all depends on the water temp. the colder the water, the slower the movement of the lure.

:LOL2: Depends bro....If the target is small say a single stump work it around i good then reel er in ...But lets say ya have multiple stumps or tree limbs work it well past all of them....Okay lets say yer workin a weed line work it till the water deepens then bring it in.....Only exception I ever make IF YER FISHING water with Smallies work that sucker all the way back to ya....I have had Smallies come outta 40 feet of water and blow up on a top water right next to boat......JIGGY

I've had minimal success working poppers slowly. I like to fish a popper with the same cadence that I would use on a spook, the difference being that the popper splashes more than a spook does. I want a popper that does the side to side, walking the dog action, like a spook does. Many poppers don't do that. The Berkley Frenzy poppers do and the Lucky Craft poppers do. Basically, I think of a popper as a buzz bait with 2 treble hooks. Should I want something stealthy and slow, (which isn't very often) I'll go to a frog bait. JMO

I guess I'll have to search Cabala's or BPS for photos of the "Foreign Terms" you used.
Another guy is trying to talk me into some "slider Grub" bait.

I'm just dumber'n a stick when it comes to hooking up those Rubber baits. I need pictures.
I finally got the 5" worm down and picked up a few Bass right in the leaves at the edge of the Beach.

You'd pay good money to seethe look on my Grandson's face when he discovered he had a Fish on there with his worm. Both those kids in the avatar got Bass with dark worms on the same trip.

We didn't have any Poppers with us that day.

Latest posts