spot removers...?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loggerhead Mike

Reaction score
Well ive never been a lure fisherman but the last 2 weeks have made me see the light.

My buddy got me on these spot removers fishing pumpkin seed worms and we've been slayin um. My question is does anybody on here fish with um, and do yall know anywhere i can get some for less than a buck a piece? I prefer the pro modle, just seems that the spring holds the worm on better but if i can find the base modles still cheaper than a buck i wont complain a bit

first bass on a plastic, 2 sundays ago. boated about 15 since on the same rig i love it

heres my dumb lookin mug, caught me off guard w/ the pic
100_0410.jpg

I use them, and I havent been able to locate them at a lower price either. I also use the Picasso Gerald Swindle Shakey Football, and I like them better than the spot removers. Theyre expensive too though. Good luck man.

I order them from Midwest Hunters Outlet (can't get the link to work here at my work - it's blocked because of Weapons...)... but I buy 5-6 packs at a time at around $4.00 each.

There are lots of different jig head styles out there that are all applicable to shakey head fishing. Chompers makes good jig heads, Jewel baits makes a good shakey head, Charlie Brewer slider heads are applicable, there are lots of different styles. I think the Brewer heads and the Chompers come through grass better than the spot removers, and they work about the same on rocks. JMO

I use the chompers in grass... but I also use the spot removers there too if I'm throwing something like a lizard on them. But you are right - spot removers aren't the best for grass!

I use the Picasso Gerald Swindle Shakey Football almost exclusively. Try a pack, I promise you wont be dissappointed. They have Gamakatsu hooks, and the spring lock is standard. Good jig heads, Ive caught alot of spot on them. Some of them have a neon orange or green spot on the head, which my dad swears helps catch the spotted bass. The bottom pic isnt a good one, they have the jig laying on the side.

Attachments

• Picasso_Shake-E-Football-2T.jpg
    Picasso_Shake-E-Football-2T.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 1,275
  • PicassoSkakeFootball.jpg
    PicassoSkakeFootball.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 1,273
Johnny5 said:
If im not mistaken dont the spot removers have a flat spot on the bottom for skipping docks and such?

Yea, it has a flat bottom, but that's more for standing up on bottom. I have tried TONS of shakey head jigs in my pool, and the chompers and spot remover are the only ones that would actually stand up 95% of the time. The best round head jig for shakey heads I have found (and the cheapest by quantity) are the Davis Shakey Head SL. You can get 25 for like $12 - https://www.coosatackle.com/site/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=566

Johnny5 said:
If im not mistaken dont the spot removers have a flat spot on the bottom for skipping docks and such?

Yeah the have a flat bottom, but I though it was for making the bait stand up. I could be wrong...

Im not much of a dock skipper

now that I think about it - in my experience, it's easier to skip a round head jig than it is the spot remover - the edge at the bottom on the spot remover catches the top of the water - but you can skip it

This is a good stand up jig also it's called "the foot" from Omega jigs....We use these on Ky lake to fish big 10 inch excite worms on ledges... they stand that big sucker up so has to be a good jig.............JIGGY

https://www.omegacustomtackle.com/products.cfm/Jigs

I fished with a guy in a tourny that used them for skipping docks at lake gaston only guy i ive seen use them. Maybe he was just good like that :D we just don't have many clear lakes around here for those. He caught alot a dinks but my one black and blue jig fish matched his best three! i may have to bring em back out this year. How do they do for bedding fish and sight fishing

i really appreciate all the responces fellers

spot removers aren't the best for grass!

lol no they dont. we dont have too many grass flats aorund here, mostly steep rocky lakes

I use the Picasso Gerald Swindle Shakey Football almost exclusively
when we ran out of the spots last weekend we used those. they seemd to work just as good w/ the pumpkin green color. ive ordered a few box's of each. after finding out how much these rigs cost i wont be so quick to just snap the line on a snag :oops:

Johnny5 said:
How do they do for bedding fish and sight fishing

they are awesome... I'll use the model without the spring coil to throw bigger baits like baby brush hogs on beds - especially the white brush hogs :lol:

got 2 off the beds yesterday. first time ever sight fishing and actually getting one to take it on a bed instead of just nip the end and drag it off

Here are some that I just bought to try out.

https://www.megastrikefishingproducts.com/shop/

https://www.megastrike.com/megastrike_e2_shakeyhead_details.htm

They come with the post, or the screw lock too.

I've tried the MegaStrikes... but I personally don't care for them. they stayed hung up in the rocks a lot more than the spot removers and chompers.. and they never stayed upright the hole time in my pool testing with worms on them

angry Bob said:
Sure, now ya tell me :mrgreen:

well... they do work pretty good for trick worms if that helps ya at all :D

I did fish them pretty good one day and caught fish - but, I just didn't like them as much. I'm probably biased to the Spot Removers, Chompers & Davis Shakey Heads though.. it's just the heads of these jigs seem huge to me for the size I'm throwing (1/8-1/4)

Latest posts