Changing out Mono

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LDUBS

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
I am just curious. I typically lose enough line to snags and twists to change out a spool a couple times a year. Does anyone reload mono based solely on age? I have a couple of spare spinning reels with mono that is >2 years old. It still seems OK, but I wonder if there is a shelf life, so-to-speak.

on the salt water forum, this question comes up now and then.
the average consensus is that most mono line is not very UV tolerant.
so if the line is only exposed to UV when you go fishing, then stored
indoors when not in use, it will last for several years. if left exposed
every day to UV, the life span is shorter. on large spools, UV only reaches
the first few layers when in the direct sun unused.
and compare the area you are in. I am sure that monofilament will
last much longer in Montana compared to Florida.

like any product - there are pros and cons that sway with the wind.
Google: how long does monofilament line last

Johnny said:
if I waited until the memory gets bad, I would be changing my line weekly #-o

Me too :) When something comes up and I have to remember a detail, I say... "Dunno, I've been asleep since then"

I use some pretty light reels, they only hold a bit over 100 yards of 8lb. test, so with kinks, snags and frayed line I lose enough to re-spool a couple of times a year. But, our freshwater fishing season is 12 months long without a closed season so that's not too bad, and a spool of YoZuri goes a long way.

It is time for me to change mine out. I've used Maxima for years. Don't know why. Just used to it I guess and too stubborn to change. Problem is good tackle shops (for lighter gear) are kind of lacking in my immediate area and the ones nearby don't stock Maxima. Unless I'm prepared to drive at least a half hour one-way, I may be making my first ever on-line purchase of fishing line. They will probably give me the spool that has been sitting on the shelf for the last 15 years. I know, life is tough. Hahah

I usually change mono every 2-3yrs, or when the line develops a lot of memory.
One thing I do do is put a filler or base of cotton line, cloth electrical tape, or something similar around the inside of the spool so it doesn't hold as much line, ever try to cast a spinning reel when the spool is half empty! That may not apply to bigger fish that may strip a lot of line, or if you're fishing extremely deep, but for most freshwater fish that you are casting for you will never get into most of the line that a spinning reel spool will hold.

overboard said:
I usually change mono every 2-3yrs, or when the line develops a lot of memory.
One thing I do do is put a filler or base of cotton line, cloth electrical tape, or something similar around the inside of the spool so it doesn't hold as much line, ever try to cast a spinning reel when the spool is half empty! That may not apply to bigger fish that may strip a lot of line, or if you're fishing extremely deep, but for most freshwater fish that you are casting for you will never get into most of the line that a spinning reel spool will hold.

Using the backer sure makes a lot of sense. I have to admit I waste quite a bit of mono unnecessarily just because I'm not using a backer.

Funny how these threads appear at just the right time. YESTERDAY, I was tying on a new hook on my Grandson's rod. He left the rod here two years ago and is now in Minnesota...so maybe it is mine now.

I tugged on the knot, to check my failing abilities to tie anything..and the line broke just above the knot! I tugged on a few more pieces and all of them broke easily.

Time for new line!

richg99 said:
Funny how these threads appear at just the right time.

The planets must be in alignment. :D

We received an invitation to our grand-niece’s first birthday party this Saturday at one of those bouncy ball places. It is really for the kiddies but they have a place for us old folks to sit around and eat some pizza. As it turns out, the place is just around the corner from a well equipped tackle shop. Drop the wife off, visit the tackle shop, come back and eat some pizza.

Seems uncanny how everything just seems to fall into place.

I just picked up a couple of spools of Berkley Big Game 20# Neon Green.
so after a good cleaning, all the saltwater reels will get a new spool
of line for the season. We get so many hangups on the rocks that some spools
have an assortment of different weight sizes as well as braid/mono mixture.
if the weather is nice through the winter, we will do the same thing next year.
not changing out due to the age of the line, but, rather the loss of the original line.
the freshwater spools are the same way. changed out due to wear and tear, not age.

Tight Lines, calm seas and Fair Winds - :fishing2:

to prevent thread drift, photos of yesterdays catch are in the "Fishing Reports" section.

Johnny said:
I just picked up a couple of spools of Berkley Big Game 20# Neon Green.
so after a good cleaning, all the saltwater reels will get a new spool
of line for the season. We get so many hangups on the rocks that some spools
have an assortment of different weight sizes as well as braid/mono mixture.
if the weather is nice through the winter, we will do the same thing next year.
not changing out due to the age of the line, but, rather the loss of the original line.
the freshwater spools are the same way. changed out due to wear and tear, not age.

Tight Lines, calm seas and Fair Winds - :fishing2:

to prevent thread drift, photos of yesterdays catch are in the "Fishing Reports" section.

Do you ever get the large bulk spools? Have a friend who picks it up that way, but he changes out his reels weekly during the seasonal salmon runs.

I'm the same way as you. I get enough snags & twists that I need to change out line long before age becomes a factor.

I have never bought bulk spools.
I don't troll with down or outriggers that require a lot of line anymore.
somebody like Dale-H that does a lot of off-shore fishing does that.
I prefer the Neon Yellow [when I can find it] for salt water.
for fresh water, we usually fall into the 17# range of whatever is on sale
at BPS. the fish could care less what color the line is (IMHO).
we have been braid users for years and are now transitioning back over
to mono as it does not hang up as easily on debris.
but when dropping into heavy cover, we use 65# braid.

Tight Lines !!!

richg99 said:
So...what did you buy?

Rich, I bought a whole lot of nuthin. I enjoyed a good time with family and friends, but never did get the chance to sneak over to the tackle shop.

Looks like I'll have to set some time aside to make a special trip to stock up on supplies. As you might know, that isn't always as easy as it sounds on a retiree's schedule. :LOL2:

Gotcha.

Yes, retirees have six Saturdays and One Sunday every week, and still not enough time to do everything.

How did I ever work 50/60 hours a week while raising 4 kids? Guess I was married to the right woman ( who also worked!)

Dunno if this is taking you off topic - but I have given up on Mono and switched basically everything over to 40# power pro braid (equivalent of 10lb diameter mono) and use an FG knot to tie on a sacrificial leader. Usually I am tipping it with fluorocarbon, but for topwater baits I'll use a 17lb mono. Only reel I have now that isn't braid to leader is a casting reel on my crankbait rod that's got all fluoro on it.

Braid last so much longer, and I can flip it around on the spool after a year or two and freshen it up. I'd be nipping mono with every lure retie and loosing so much material to knicks and dmg it's really saved a lot of $$$ in the end.