Old guys & square bills

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New River Rat

Reaction score
In my best Will Smith from Men in Black; "Hey, old guys".

Before the "modern" era of squarebill crankbaits, does anyone remember a crankbait that had a square bill or a reasonably squarebill?

Currently:

sxychartshd_1110110110_is

SQUARIMA_250x250.png

10215510_is

I've actually got one in mind, but I don't want to sway the replies>

Don't know what the name of it is - but I definitely have one that was my grandfathers made of balsa with a metal lip - no idea how old it is but it's definitely 40yrs + which would certainly predate any plastic square bill.

Hopefully I'll remember to get a pic up when I get home tonight.

21b21j4.jpg

These are al about 30 years old. Best as I remember they are, from left to right, a Rapala Fat Rap, a Cordell Big O, a Lindy Shadling, a Storm Mag Wart lure, and a Rebel Super Teeny Wee R. I don't think the Rebel bait still is offered with a squarebill

I remember the Big O's from way back then. We used to buy rebel lures at places like Kmart and the large drug stores (maybe Payless?). We considered them expensive and had to stretch that hard earned dollar.

The pic above showed the Fat Rap I was using last Wednesday on boat floor.

Here's some that are square or almost square (kinda like my carpentry work).

L-R: Creek Chub something, feels like aluminum; L&S Bass-Master 15; Heddon Firetail Sonic; No idea; Early plastic Big-O, post wooden; Mann's ?

DSCF0DSCF0001001.JPG

Here's my current batch of Fat Raps. These are for fishing, although there are collectors out there that puts them away for some reason....anyway, not a true square, but what I call a coffin-lip.

DSCF0001.JPG

I've got a few Rapala fat raps with the square bills. I didn't realize they were collector's items.

New River Rat said:
In my best Will Smith from Men in Black; "Hey, old guys".

Before the "modern" era of squarebill crankbaits, does anyone remember a crankbait that had a square bill or a reasonably squarebill?

I still fish an old Big-O that we always called the one-knocker. It is hollow bodied, and has a single large ball bearing in it. I know the retrieve speed is right when I feel that thing knocking back and forth. Runs about 1 1/2' deep, and smacks bass when they do not quite want to commit to topwater strikes.

Latest posts