Adding zinc anode to transom...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

10sne1

Reaction score
I wish to fish saltwater with my aluminum rig, triton 1870 bay sport. I wish to add a zinc tab. I rather not screw it directly to the hull. Will it have the same effect if I mount a small piece of star board with an adhesive, then screw the zinc to the star board? Thanks for your advice. Tomm

If you do it like this, you will need to run a bonding wire from the mounting bolt of the zinc, to the next available bonding wire, usually located under the power trim unit anode. If no bond wire is available on the engine, run it directly to the negative terminal of your battery.

To make the bonding wire, use 1/16" diameter stranded stainless wire, and crimp a ring terminal on either end.

On my Triton 1650, I mounted (2) 1/4" bolts through the hull, and used really long ones, then secured them with lock nuts and washers. The excess amount that sticks out the back of the transom (about 2") acts like a set of studs, and this is where I mount my zinc anode, by installing a strip of aluminum to the anode itself as a backer plate, and then installing the strip to the 2 studs that stick out. This way, any time I need to change an anode, I never need to re-apply sealant, etc, it's a simple matter of removing 2 nuts, then remove the anode, change it, and re-install.

Peg-1 is your triton painted? Did you have to remove the paint. I like your two bolt idea a lot. Would you or could you post a photo? Or e-Mail to me?
[email protected]
Thanks.
I just got my triton aluminum, looking for what type ladder to put on it? Do you have a ladder mounted on the transom?

It's easier when you have a visual reference, for sure. Here ya go!

100_0757.JPG

Note how the 2 smaller bolts are to the outside, these are the ones that go through the transom. The larger 2 bolts hold the zinc to the backer plate. The backer plate allows you to use large fasteners and washers, to keep electrolysis from eating away the mounting point, and then your anode falls off, leaving the boat with no protection.

100_0758.JPG

Thanks for the photos! So I could mount it on star board like you did and do a loop wire, like yours. Thanks again for the visual.

Yeah, you could take a piece of star board and thru-bolt the anode to it. Just make sure to use the bonding wire, to complete the circuit, so that you are actually getting galvanic protection. Check your zinc often, when it gets below 75% of its original size, replace it. Maintain your bottom paint as good as you can.

In my photos, you can see that the bottom paint is worn off my boat. But if y'all ever see how I use my boat, it's a wonder I can keep a motor on there, much less paint! LMAO! :mrgreen: Everything from the abuse it sees from being loaded down with 1000 lbs of oysters, to trying to jump sandbars (doesn't work so good with power trim) to dredging. And it sits in the water roughly 250-300 days a year.

Latest posts