Impeller sharpening

moelkhuntr

Impeller sharpening

Post by moelkhuntr »

Turner032, if I am looking at your picture right, you sharpen the opposite side of the impeller than Lil Blue Rude. Am I seeing right?
18/52 Blazer, 115 HO E=TEC

Lil' Blue Rude

Impeller sharpening

Post by Lil' Blue Rude »

Yep he does.
16' 42" Blazer SS with a custom short shaft 60/40 Evinrude

moelkhuntr

Impeller sharpening

Post by moelkhuntr »

That throws my pea picken brain in a tail spin then!!! WHO IS RIGHT!!! Just try and see which way works best for you?
18/52 Blazer, 115 HO E=TEC

turne032

Impeller sharpening

Post by turne032 »

i guess my advice is that a sharp impeller will run faster than a dull impeller. I know everyone sucks up rocks, and sometimes you cant help it. but if you make an effort to keep your impeller sharp, that is where the grunt of your performance comes from.

sharpening top vs. sharpening bottom = chevys vs. fords
I want a boat that drinks 6, eats 4, and sleeps 2.

optaylor823

Impeller sharpening

Post by optaylor823 »

That polished impeller looks nice, but would not last long the way I run my boat. It sees to many rocks and gravel shoals to stay that way. I agree a sharpened impeller does help. I see the biggest difference in my hole shot. When my impeller gets to bad I have to ease into the throttle and start off slow, because the RPMs get to high and the jet goes to sucking air. I do not see much difference in the top end, but of course I am not looking for top end since I run a dangerous river with a 16' boat and a converted 175 that will only run about 40 mph and most days I only run about 30, so I am not using a lot of gas and it gives me time to see obstacles.

Codeman

Impeller sharpening

Post by Codeman »

Question. My impeller has some pretty severe cavitation burns on it. They are old and don't appear to have gotten any worse since I redid the transom and everything on my boat. How much are they costing me in efficiency? I'm thinking its just time to bite the bullet and buy a new impeller/ liner and be done with it. Any of you guys gone to stainless and have a 6 1/8 Aluminum in decent shape laying around that you want to sell?
If it wasn't for the last minute I'd never get anything done.

Raven205

Impeller sharpening

Post by Raven205 »

Old post but very useful information..
What are the Odds that Lil Blue Rude would post his pictures again, they seem to be missing...
That would be awesome!
Explorer Industries 162 - 60/40 Yamaha

gotmuddy

Impeller sharpening

Post by gotmuddy »

Raven205 wrote: 02 Jan 2021, 18:05 Old post but very useful information..
What are the Odds that Lil Blue Rude would post his pictures again, they seem to be missing...
That would be awesome!
that would be great.