Need some advice / guidance on first build Alweld 1652j

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J Hartman

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I finally got my hull in, and I've been a jet boat lurker for what seems like forever now. I know it's been at least 4 years of looking to get this far. Now it's time to get the project started! Here are some pictures, I eventually want this boat to have a "bass boat" style. Decks in the front and rear. Still some fab work to do. I want to get the perforated aluminum floor in it. Are there any good threads on an install for that? What gauge Aluminum / size holes are people using for the floors? Any cross bracing needed? Rivet the floor in? Weld in? I'm planning to power with an evinrude 90 etec. Just been an evinrude fan since a kid. it's what my dad always ran. I know some guys on here are really good at drawing up designs and such. I could use some help there to help get the image of what I'm really trying to build. Anyways, and advice and guidance will be awesome, I'll keep posting pictures along the way.

There is our blank canvas, Let the fun begin!

Gotta love a fresh new boat.

we put a perforated floor in mine. Just ran an extra brace between each factory brace so there are twice as many now. Just some thin Z bent aluminum. Ran a small bead of clear silicone on top of the braces and then screwed the flooring to it. (Keeps vibration and noise down.

put black trim around edges.

i

THose are grate pictures of the 1652 basic jet.I am glad you post them here as the few the deeler sent me were of poor quality it looks like the alwelds are built like tanks =D>

I stopped down at backwoodslanding to pick up a pre fabricated console for the boat and a controls mount. I did a mock set up of how i would have the console and control placing and to be honest, didn't like it at all. I guess I'm a tiller guy. I didn't like how it cluttered up the floor of the boat or how much space it all actually took up after getting the seats and such in position. so I am thinking it's going to be a pretty bland build compared to some of the boats I see on here. But It has raised a few questions about running a tiller on this boat. It is rated for a 90 hp as a remote and 50 as a tiller. HOWEVER, the 75/50 weight would be the same as the 90/65. So I'm trying to decide whether or not to go with the 90 or 75 for legal reason. ALSO, i've never ran a big tiller engine. How much torque do you fight on a jet tiller? Would a 90 tiller be that much more hassle to operate than a 75? Do you think I'd have weight issues sitting in the back of the boat ( ex. Rear heavy ) I believe i could move my fuel and batteries further up to compensate for that if necessary. Trying to buy an engine I'll be happy with.

Looking forward to hearing suggestions.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=315984#p315984 said:
hotshotinn » Today, 16:28[/url]"]THose are grate pictures of the 1652 basic jet.I am glad you post them here as the few the deeler sent me were of poor quality it looks like the alwelds are built like tanks =D>

I've been happy with the build quality so far, No real defects found at all. I haven't had it in the water yet, But I'm really looking forward to it.

I don't know if you've ever seen Swamp People, but Troy runs I think a 90 prop with a tiller, I would think a jet would be more manageable due to lack of propeller torque, but he's the king of the swamp so your mileage may vary!

In all seriousness, that's a sweet looking rig you got there. If it were me personally, I'd go with a console, but I think you could make it work with a tiller as long as you distribute a good bit of weight to the front. Enjoy it man!

I would go with the 90/65 tiller if I were you. You can never really have to much power. As for the torque, it shouldn't be that bad. Ive seen guys run 200-225 tillers up at my place in alaska. They love them. If you really find the torque to be unmanageable then you can get hydraulic steering for it. It keeps your tiller but it uses the hydraulic cylinder to help fight the torque, same as big engine console boats but on a tiller.

Since swamp people was stated, its what junior edwards and troy uses. I was going to have a guy in Louisiana build me a boat and he is the one that told me about the system.

Hope this helps! Im a tiller guy myself and would rather have a big tiller then a console anyway. Love the boat btw

yeah, the only thing i have to compare the torque to is my dads deck boat. I know that with his 150 if the engine is trimmed wrong, if you let go of the wheel it could instantly snap the wheel to the (left or right can't remember) lock. And being in a small river doing this, if i was to ever let go of the jet for some reason that could be disaster. wonder if they have killswitch lanyards on the tiller models?

Ive never heard of a boat having that much torque and snapping the wheel. That seems odd.

Tiller models do come with lanyards.

You should have no problem with the torque on a tiller especially if you are buying new. The newer models from Etec and mercury are great and they have worked hard to make the torque more manageable.

Maybe someone else can chime in more. I know on my tiller which is a 40hp prop( i know not a jet) but the torque is fine. I just adjusted the tab above the prop so it would counter steer to side when up on plane so I didnt have to hold onto the tiller so hard. I can drive now with barely holding the tiller.

I hope this helps!

My 17' Starcraft W/a 100 mariner did the same. Let go of the wheel and hard starboard. Adjusted the tab above the prop and it doesn't do it anymore.

bought my engine. pump should be here in about a week to ten days... What to do with the spare time?

I'm trying to decide what to do with the front deck right now... Carpet or some light gray rhino liner / bed liner

If you like to go bare foot carpent it. I have the same hull and the bare aluminum is brutal in the summer on bare skin.

Great looking boat! I would go with a console steer. JMO. I have only been in a couple tiller steer boats but they seemed a bit heavy in the rear while running.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=316143#p316143 said:
lowe1648 » Yesterday, 10:08[/url]"]If you like to go bare foot carpent it. I have the same hull and the bare aluminum is brutal in the summer on bare skin.

I got my carpet installed on the front deck yesterday, I slapped an old transom mount trolling motor on and went fishing... Got my first fish in it! Maybe it will be a boat that really catches fish!=) I do plan on going bare foot most of the time. So I Need to figure out how to carpet the floor... Hmm. I've been looking into how people make the aluminum perf floor. I could always throw a rug in the bottom for comfort. lol.

I forgot to say the front deck is what gets so hot without carpet. Not the floor.

well i need to carpet the front deck with a different carpet, I wasn't impressed with the carpet I grabbed from lowes, Any suggestions on a good place to buy bass boat carpet or just marine carpet in general? I've thought about rhino / herculiner , what is the general thought on that stuff? It seems if it were the right color it would be great.

Latest posts