New motor: merc 60/40 or yamaha 40/30

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wood_Duck

Reaction score
Pricing is close on these two motors. It will be repowering a 1546 all welded which currently has a 30/25 merc. With myself (240#), 24v terrova, 6gal tank, and fishing gear it struggles at 16.5-17. Add second 200ish lb adult and it can't full plane off and plows at around 9-11mph. Two people have said the 40/30 is substantially better performer than the 30/25 but I've never ran one. But more is better seems to be more sensible although I'd much rather have yamaha. The yamaha 60/40 is quite abit pricier and long shaft so it'd need a riser where the 40/30 and merc are short shafts. I know my hull width doesn't help much but it's what I have and I'd like to at least hit 20mph with me and a second person with gear. And FYI, flotation pods are on order and it is a tiller. I also will be beefing up the transom regardless.

More is usually better with a jet, but water cops can get picky about a boats h.p. rating if they want. I figure a 15 46 is rated for a 25h.p. at most unless its a commercial rated hull.

That's a correct assumption on the 25hp but to specify before this becomes another legality debate with over powering. I have absolutely zero concern and is no different than people cramming 70hp jet ski motors in a 12' Jon rated for 6hp. We don't have boat nazis, I can get insurance, and I'm content with such. But back on subject I will say the yamaha tiller handle is a big selling point. Merc has the big tiller kit but at a cost of $3100ish so that's never gonna happen.

Look at Tohatsu. They make a 25 and a 35 jet. 2 strokes! 35 is a 50 powerhead and the 25 is a 40 powerhead. Either one is lighter than any 4 stroke out there.
I kno ur not concerned.... but with a 25hp that has a 40 powerhead ur still legal and with the lighter weight prob much better performance than a 40/30.. They aint cheap though.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=365019#p365019 said:
smackdaddy53 » 31 Aug 2014, 21:15[/url]"]Tohatsu makes one of the best if not the best motor out there hands down.
Will second that.Fish sometimes with a goo friend that runs a mega 25 tohatsu on a 1648 blazer.boat is pretty bare deck and small livewell but mean him both in it him in back and me on front deck both about 230 a packed cooler and around 50lb of gear it run a solid 32-34 average down river hitting 39 sometimes and 28-30 going up and probably only back 6ft of boat touching water.it extremely good on fuel and if i had the money i would be replacing my 25 Johnson with one.his dad runs one on a 1852 at probably 4mph less on average.only down side i have found is price.i got a quote a month ago for around 6700 but all the new ones have power trim i believe on them.theirs don't so i can only assume a new one with trim would only be faster yet.

Heard a lot of good on them, however no local dealers for me and I do a substantial amount of engine trolling hence my reason for 4stroke to start with. Although I've never trolled with a 2 stroke, I've heard they aren't ideal with the low rpm. All the 2 strokes I've had where ran at WOT most of the time

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=365025&sid=ef1a84ec9ba45201c7e9cbd50f0a6ae8&sid=e6093faf378d7216afcd12f11b9e1236#p365025 said:
Wood_Duck » 31 Aug 2014, 22:19[/url]"]Heard a lot of good on them, however no local dealers for me and I do a substantial amount of engine trolling hence my reason for 4stroke to start with. Although I've never trolled with a 2 stroke, I've heard they aren't ideal with the low rpm. All the 2 strokes I've had where ran at WOT most of the time
I believe the tohatsu's have a adjust on them for low rpm trolling.my buddy that has one traded his 4 stroke in for this one sai glad he did.with the direct injection on these motors they sound and idle like a 4 stroke.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=365135#p365135 said:
Wood_Duck » 01 Sep 2014, 19:53[/url]"]Unfortunately no tohatsu dealers here though so it's Merc or Yamaha
Don't know if you wanting to travel that far but according to dealer registry they a tohatsu dealer about 70 miles from you i think.was looking back at your post and curious why you running so slow with current setup.I'm running a loaded down 1848 blazer sport floor rod box big livewell around 150lbs of gear and two guys at 230 each with a 25 horse johnson and i usually making 18-20 and my sleeve is pretty bad.just wondering if you possible have a problem somewhere.

Not sure really. I was expecting abit more. Lip on the intake is level with the bottom of the hull, two trolling batteries are against the front deck, but it's just a slowpoke. The 30/25 4 stroke just don't seem a performer except maybe on a light riveted boat.

Maybe some of the others chime in but if your lip is level with bottom think its a bit low.always been told and run mine with the bottom being level with the front pin in your grates.on your boat with a 30/25 i think it should run right along.I ran with a guy last week running one on a 1742 with a very rough 100 gauge bottom and he stayed right with me.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=365153#p365153 said:
blazer02 » 39 minutes ago[/url]"]Maybe some of the others chime in but if your lip is level with bottom think its a bit low.always been told and run mine with the bottom being level with the front pin in your grates.on your boat with a 30/25 i think it should run right along.I ran with a guy last week running one on a 1742 with a very rough 100 gauge bottom and he stayed right with me.
I blocked it up to try that and it was to no avail, just abit more cavitation on high traffic days and same results in planing off.

Choosing between the Mercury and Yamaha I would, without a doubt, go with the Mercury. I am a Yamaha guy but Mercury has those 60/40s dialed in. I have a couple of friends with them and they love them.

Looking like the Merc is going to be the pick. Now here's my next concern. How concerned should I be about the transom. Mine is a 46" bottom all welded with .080" hull. If you look at a 1652 it's rated for a 50hp engine with only a .072" hull and 6" wider bottom which would seem to allow more flex and stress on the transom. My 30/25 lists 197lbs and the new motor lists 267lbs. From a weight perspective to me it seems like my transom should be stronger than the hull rated for an engine that size. Thicker aluminum and more narrow allowing less flex. Thoughts?

Latest posts