temporarily repairing a hole in your boat.

keitht

Post by keitht »

I was out yesterday in a river that was very low. Lower than I would run my boat in. I was in a canoe. I watched a drunk sink his jet. I have put a hole in my metal boat once. Luckily I was close to the ramp and finally got the boat in. It was taking on water pretty good and riding low in the water. It was a major pain.

So, are there any good strategies for dealing with a hole / leak when you're not close to the ramp and you have to get it home. Assuming you can locate or get to the hole, what can you patch the hole with? I suppose you could stuff a stick or piece of cloth in the hole to keep water from pouring in? Any other ideas?

The drunk dud's boat yesterday had water up even with the sides. I have no idea how I'd get a boat like that back to the car? Good thing I don't jet boat drunk I guess.

KMixson

Post by KMixson »

If you could get a waterproof duct tape stuck to outside of the hull where the leak is it might help get you back to the ramp.

CedarRiverScooter

Post by CedarRiverScooter »

This is where having extra flotation foam comes in handy.

I have as much flotation as I could fit in under the floor, deck & gunwales. However, I am not sure how it would float if totally flooded. Not going to test it!

If I had major leak that threatened engine operation, I would just bank it & walk out. Come back later with something inflatable to float it I suppose.

I always carry a phone on the water, so could call for a ride.

Also always go upstream from ramp.

Save the beer for when you get home.

eshaw

Post by eshaw »

I agree that if it's going to be a real problem I'd beach it as quickly as possible and walk out.

bcbouy

Post by bcbouy »

i carry a tube of 2 part aluminum repair epoxy putty in my boat just in case.i also have a pair of swimming goggles in a cloth case just because of the decking that prevents me from repairing it from topside,so i would need to go underwater.won't fix a gaping hole but will fix a tear or small puncture enough to get back to the launch ramp. hopefully i never have to but it takes up minimal space and provides piece of mind.if it's unrepairable then i swim and insurance takes over.
if all else fails....stop using all else

Crazyboat

Post by Crazyboat »

JB weld or other epoxy type thing for small holes.

Was with a friend one time, we were kids and we managed to put a nickel sized hole in his hull, this was on a 10' jon boat with maybe a 4' beam. We beached the boat on the edge of a swamp and put out head together, after dragging the boat across swap grass for 20 minutes we were close enough to a K-mart and we stole a bolt and wing nut, scrounged 2 pieces of plywood, pounded a hole in the wood with a rock and nail we found, cut part of his "welcome" mat he used to place his gas can as a gasket and put 1 piece of mat and wood outside, 1 piece on the inside of the hull and tightened up the wing nut to that bolt as much as we could. Dropped the boat back in the water and motored home.

The seal held up pretty good and with us boat in the rear of the boat the damaged part was mostly out of the water while on plane. Going back through the lagoons at no wake speed was another story, but still it didn't leak all that bad, only used the scoop a few times on the 20 min ride at slow speed.

Both our dads gave us a pat on the back for the fix, not so much for stealing the bolt and nut, but for being industrious.

DaleH
Donor

Post by DaleH »

bcbouy

Post by bcbouy »

:LOL2: can you imagine what one of those would look like after a season of banging around in the boat? sand, fishing lures,dog hair,bits of bait, etc.,.if it were in a bag it would be a ball of goo.better off stuffing a sock or a pair of ginch into the hole.

jethro
Donor

Post by jethro »

Ain't you guys ever seen the commercial where he saws the boat in half!

https://youtu.be/0xzN6FM5x_E
I fish, therefore, I am.

1993 Starcraft SF 14 DLX side console with 25 hp Mercury 2 stroke
2003 Sylvan 2100 Profish walkthrough with 150 Mercury Saltwater and 6hp Mecury 4 stroke kicker

ppine

Post by ppine »

Over the years we have cracked up plenty of canoes and punched holes in rafts a long way from a road. I punched a hole in a plywood drift boat.

A friend of mine sunk his fiberglass canoe in a rapid on the John Day River in Oregon. My brother and I did a ferry to get to the other side of the river. We put a line on the crunched canoe and dragged it ashore. We used rocks to pound the hull roughly back into shape. We let the sun dry it out and then used a duct tape, I mean a lot of duct tape to get it back on the river again. We found lots of stuff lost in the wreck swirling in eddies downstream for several days.

The drift boat was fixed the same way. Last year a zipper let go on one of the pontoon on my 16 foot cataraft. We used a tarp, gorilla tape and 15 straps to hold it together for another 6 days.

Riverdog

Post by Riverdog »

jethro wrote:Ain't you guys ever seen the commercial where he saws the boat in half!

https://youtu.be/0xzN6FM5x_E
I'm planning on getting some of that flex tape. Right now I carry a sta-plug emergency plug. I had some pond liner repair tape for my kayak. Just discovered it lost it's sticky yesterday. I guess that's why my pond started losing water again after a year.

They use to sale a self draining boat plug. Something like this. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pee-Wee-Neop ... 1641719286 Might help get you home. I wouldn't trust one for everyday use. Can't seem to find them anymore.
Last edited by Riverdog on 23 Jul 2018, 19:10, edited 1 time in total.
2013 1752 Blazer SS Mercury 60/40

Jump aboard, let's take a ride. <-clicky

bcbouy

Post by bcbouy »

that clear flex tape works amazing.i've used it to patch holes in my ez up,an air bed,my grandsons inflatable kiddie pool and the vinyl on my old pop up truck camper.just stuck it on and forget about it.i just lent some to a work colleage to fix his above ground pool.mine is the tear aid brand.

Riverdog

Post by Riverdog »

Crazyboat wrote:JB weld or other epoxy type thing for small holes.
Just FYI. Aluminum welders hate working a spot that has previously had JB weld on it.
2013 1752 Blazer SS Mercury 60/40

Jump aboard, let's take a ride. <-clicky

onthewater102

Post by onthewater102 »

Riverdog wrote:
Crazyboat wrote:JB weld or other epoxy type thing for small holes.
Just FYI. Aluminum welders hate working a spot that has previously had JB weld on it.
Do they prefer to work on boats @ the bottom of a lake?

I keep a tube of this on board just in case. Don't know if I'd trust the toilet wax ring applied from the outside - likely get scrapped off if you try moving at any speed.

I have a marriage license and a fishing license, but I only carry one in my wallet.

1985 Bass Tracker III - Restoration w/ 1988 Mercury 60hp

For Sale - Custom Hand Tied Jigs, Bladed Jigs,Custom Rods

2002 Alumacraft 1436LT (SOLD)

BigTerp
Donor

Post by BigTerp »

onthewater102 wrote: I keep a tube of this on board just in case. Don't know if I'd trust the toilet wax ring applied from the outside - likely get scrapped off if you try moving at any speed.

I keep a tube of the same thing in my boat as well.
BigTerp's Tracker Sportsman 16' build-------> viewtopic.php?f=21&t=26774