Fish finder recommendation

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Creekchub

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a fish finder for a jet Jon boat? Also where to mount the transducer?
Thanks

I have zippo knowledge of jet boats but I have been on one once!

I would think you would pick the FF that has the features that you want for your water & fishing style. Not sure that having a jet vs a prop really would make a difference when it comes to sonar, imaging, & GPS features.

I don't know if there are special considerations for mounting the transducer on a jet boat. Sorry I can't be more help.

It shows you in the manual where to mount them. with prop its to the right of the prop looking at it from the back. With a jet prop i dont think its as critical.

It’s hard to get side imaging to work from the transom. Especially if you have a tunnel. All those extra parts and plates block the view to both sides. One side works fine.

Forget getting sonar to work while on plane. Just mount it above the bottom of the hull and use it idling or trolling.

I have a Garmin echo map plus and really like their ActiveCaptain app. Wireless sync to your phone. I can mark waypoints on my phone off the water and sync them to my graph.

I have a Humminbird M360 bow mounted on a trolling motor mount, with the SI transducer mounted to it with a bracket I made. It’s only for slow speeds but, works very well. I have an additional high speed transducer mounted on the transom.

EED565F3-CA07-4921-A1C7-997A6C28B857.jpeg

7" with side imaging, 5" if you're just looking for down/2D. I am very happy with my HB Helix 7 Mega SI G3 - I hated my Lowrance Hook Reveal 7. If you get Lowrance, I highly recommend NOT getting any model with the tripleshot/splitshot transducers - they are underpowered. The 3 n 1 ducer and the HDI for just down/2d works great.

Don’t have the GB series but I’m running 3way GS series and I currently have my tweeters off axis and I still think it sounds good. Fair bit of eq-ing in my helix so they don’t sound so bright. But I’m still pretty much a newbie so don’t take my anecdotal evidence as rule.

While mine is mounted like a prop boat, I’ve heard of many thin water guys that tend to “scrub”, using some type of fold up mount.

I run three Helix 7 in my larger boat. Bought a DI unit last year (non-Ethernet) and added two SI (ethernet) units this year. Also, picked up the MK TERROVA IP link, a network switch and a ton of adapter cables. I‘ve only had the set-up on the water once this year because the tow vehicle is down.

It looks like the SI will do anything that down imaging will do. Having two or more units networked allows sharing imaging between units. So for example, the bow mounted SI is connected to the DI Tranducer in the Terrova but you can also view SI imaging from the console mounted unit with a transom mounted SI transducer and visa versa.

The two newer Helix 7 can easily be moved to the 1448M Jon. I have other work to do on the Jon before adding electronics but the plan is a transom mounted DI transducer and a removable side mounted SI transducer on a carbon fiber tube. This would allow manual rotation of the SI transducer for a poor man’s 360 degree view.

Last edited:
I've had H-Bird, Lowrance and Garmin. The Garmin has the best imaging if you are going for a side or down scan model. The H-Birds have a pretty good feature set and probably the most intuitive menu layout. The Lowrance I had wasn't a very high end model and didn't have imaging, but it had a great screen. That's about all I can add.

Latest posts