My first cut and paste build

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amk

Reaction score
12ft alumacraft with a 92 650cc yamaha here's the bottom I'll get more pics of the inside when I get it cleaned up. I'm pretty happy with it hopefully it doesn't cavitate!?

Put 5200 down then bolted the pump skid into place filled in holes with more 5200 then foamed it. Trimmed up foam then fiberglassed the area. I then painted on a couple coats of tank liner hope it's good i think it'll be water tight.

I should finish up in about 10 days I'll post more pics and how it runs I haven't seen really anyone build a jet with such a small boat.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 2,499
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 2,499
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 2,499
Haha I figure I'll need an extra life insurance policy and a helmet. I'm using the steering from the jetski I was planning on just keeping it like Handle bars

Not trying to sell stick steering, but here is a picture of my installation. I cut & rewelded the handle bar to be straight arm. The cable length is a big driver for exactly how this goes together; i was lucky to find a routing that worked.

Having the pivot bracket up high (like on the jet ski) may force you to straddle the engine.

A custom cable would be really expensive.

lsatest boat 005.JPG

Guy near me has done the exact same thing. That thing flies on a 12ft tin. Lol hold on tight & best of luck!

My buddy had already built a Jet Jon (he used a 150 hp Seadoo!) & he gave me some cross ribs to use, so I decided to utilize that free material.

In retrospect, I would have been much better off building a drop-in subframe from alum angle, because my 1 stick-at-a-time approach was time consuming.

But to answer your question directly, I welded the extra ribs to the hull ribs + glued them to the hull using Locktite PL30. I jury rigged my 40 year old mig welder to push aluminum wire (a spool gun adapter was going to break my budget). The welding was not pretty at all due to my old machine (why I didn't post any pix of that). At the critical joints, I added some pop rivets, just to guarantee it would never fail.

The upper brace is welded & riveted too.

The steering support is welded + bolted (It is strong enough to lift the whole boat).

Other than that, everything is pop riveted.

My advice is to make it twice as strong as you think it needs to be.

If your gonna do something do it right... Glad I never let that get in my way. I decided to get my boat in the water steering came out backwards has a few flaws but she runs I just gotta iron out the wrinkles

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 2,302
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 2,302
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 2,302
I just set it on that back seat or in the back on top of the pump

little video of it running. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CKIDNjA75eQ