Noob starting a build

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bookerf

Reaction score
I'm a stealhead and salmon fisherman and for years I've watched the jet boat guys shooting from hole to hole until they find a pod of fish. Well I'm done watching :D I acquired a 18ft x 6ft lowe mod v recently and I'm going to make this my first jet boat build! 8) I want your guys input on if you think this is a good boat for the job. I'll include pics below. I just finished stripping it down and it looks pretty good to me :?: Mind you I'm no boating expert obviously. I plan on a inboard jet set up, possible a aquajet if I can come up with the money :p .. Any recommendations are welcomed I've seen and read about many smaller jet boat builds but nothing quite 18ft.

In the front there is a homemade live well that I'm thinking of keeping and making into a bench seat while keeping the live well below. I want to put the console right in front of the live well bench seat but my concern is that it will be to far forward if there is such a thing??...

What do you guys think?
IMG950530.jpg
IMG950819.jpg
IMG950815.jpg
IMG950817.jpg

Yea it will be fun for sure. :D I want the console as far forward as I can get it I'm thinking right in front of the live well that I'm going to turn into a bench seat. The front edge of the live well is 5ft 7in from the tip of the boat. You guys think that's to far forward? How will it affect getting on plan?

If you go with jet drive, I would recommend a 4 stroke engine & all welded construction.

Your donor boat looks like it should do the job. Fix any leaks 1st before you cover them up.

Thanks Cedar, will do.
Anyone have any experience with Berkeley Jet drives? How are they? I can get one almost for free.

most of us used jet ski parts it will be interesting to see someone do it with actual jet boat parts :D

If I remember correctly, and someone should correct me if I am wrong...but Berkeley pumps are usually paired with a large block engine and they are a large diameter pump that smaller engines would lug to push water through. However if you did put a big engine in there you could probably get 70-80 mph in that tin boat.... :D

Ya big block engines like strokers. You'll be turning high Rpms to get the torch your boats not really wide enough or strong enough. Those pumps are expensive so frees a good deal but if it needs parts like wear ring and prop your probably talking some serious cash

I found this site "mean chicken jet boat forum" I think it's a Canadian website but they build real jets there with big blocks and these expensive pumps you would probably find some good stuff there. I hesitate to tell you about it because I want to see your build progress but you would probably get some good info there.

What is the width at the bottom of the transom? That's how Jon boat width is determined.

I would suggest that you read and research as much as possible before pulling the trigger on anything. You really need a plan and a goal. Spend a lot of time thinking and planning. I think I was around 2-3% work, 97-98% thinking when I built my hull (which is stretched out to 17'6" x48").

Without knowing the power plant it's impossible to make relevant suggestions on the layout.

Without knowing the hull weight it's hard to suggest a power plant.

Weight is the enemy of a jet boat. Wood is heavy, wet insulation is almost as heavy, wet wood is worse.

Yea I'm not going to do anything until I'm 100% clear on how everything works and design my layout. Why isint there a jet drive made here in the USA like the ones in NZ? I might have to use jet ski parts the berkeley weights 350 lb :shock: !

I think it has to do with use and duty. Most US waters are flat and deep enough that props are good enough. Outboard jets work in the other areas. Mercury does make a sport jet I/O setup but they are basically a inboard mounted outboard motor. The jet ski power plants work very well for the intended purpose. It's hard to argue with @ 100 hp for 100 lbs in a package that doesn't require a big dog box. The used ski market is very affordable when compared to a comparable HP outboard jet. Sure it takes more work to fit the IB jet but you also gain a lot of performance, stability and usability with an IO vs. OB drive.

Your hull should weigh less than 600 lbs empty. How you dress it up will effect it's draft, performance and what you'll need to make it move. A big live well in the front along with front controls is questionably a poor decision. To plane effectively you need the center of balance in the rear 1/3 of the loaded hull. You also want the CG in the middle so it drafts evenly and handles predictably.

Ranchero you've got me leaning towards jet ski parts. I don't really need a live well so I can get rid of that but I would love to have the console controls up towards the front so I have more room to fish.. I'm going to get the boat weighted so I know exactly what I'm working with.. As far as dressing it up I'm thinking some aluminum floor and sides with foam underneath then probably 2 seats by the console.

I routinely see 4 stroke honda jetskis on craigslist for 4-6k, try getting a 100hp 4 stroke outboard for that kind of money. Good luck on the build

Ordered a Yamaha XL1200 Jet Pump should be here soon. Tried using paint stripper on the boat, It didint work out so well. I'm looking into soda blasting now. Might pick one up at harbor freight.

Did you buy a used one from a parts yard or go new? I have been reading up on the xl1200 and its seems the motor, while being dependable doesnt output much more than the xl800. What motor are you planning on using with that pump?

I bought two 2011 yamaha vx deluxe for $2200 for both they had 900 hours which is why they were cheap from a rental ski place. The guy kept them on L mode which is why they lasted so long. I sold one and kept one and it still runs good. There are cheap skis out there. But if I had the money those seadoo 4 tec sure look nice.

Latest posts