Post by Boz Mon »

[ external image ]

Minor updates

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boz Mon

My jet Jon build thread

Post by Boz Mon »

[ external image ]

I got my seat the other day. I plan on doing some carpet work and finishing up some other odds and ends this weekend

Boz Mon

My jet Jon build thread

Post by Boz Mon »

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

Some glasswork from tonight. After the scoop dries, it will get a final coat, then the whole top deck will get carpet.

Redhunter

My jet Jon build thread

Post by Redhunter »

Man, that's looking good. I just started one myself, so I'm researching and learning. I'm planning on doing a weld in style, but you've got me rethinking it the way this is coming along.

Boz Mon

My jet Jon build thread

Post by Boz Mon »

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

Just a few pics of some bling

CedarRiverScooter

My jet Jon build thread

Post by CedarRiverScooter »

Hey Boz - Just passing along my experience with the top loader grate you showed. I found out the hard way why the OEM grate has tine spacing less that the spacing between impeller blades.

I hit a gravel bed & before i could shut down i had rocks stuck between the blades of the impeller. It would still run but not push any water beyond idle. Was a long ride back to ramp!

If you need the scoop function, I recommend welding in more bars to equal the spacing on OEM grate. Also see PSG's latest grate design, is very cool.

Great looking tank. Did you weld it yourself?

PSG-1

My jet Jon build thread

Post by PSG-1 »

Those top loader grates are OK if you only run on open water, where there is chop (and no debris). On choppy water, they perform as advertised, feeding more water to the pump and minimizing acceleration slip.

But on inland rivers, bays, back creeks, and other shallow areas, or in areas where there is a lot of debris, a top loader grate is a horrible thing to have on a jet boat, because it's a vacuum cleaner, and at some point, will result in a stick or gravel being jammed into the pump. If it's severe enough, it could lock up the impeller and cause the PTO to strip out (as many of them are just threaded into an aluminum coupler)

Several years ago, I had to consider the pros VS. cons of the 2 designs, and I decided a top loader grate wasn't for me. But neither was a standard grate. At first I designed it just like the weedless grate of a Sea Doo jet boat, but then improved it a couple of times, by adding more bars on the grate, and then eventually re-doing it as a stomp grate with 1/4" spacing between the bars.

Will my boat run wide open in chop, or take a turn at full throttle without cavitating? No. But I've learned where the slip limit is on the RPM's for certain conditions, and adjust throttle accordingly. I may not have the performance in choppy water, but when I go across a shoal, at least my @$$ isn't gnawing bricks, worried about picking up an oyster shell, rock, stick, or other object and damaging the pump.
ALUMA-JET project:
https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopi ... 21&t=22023

Fishing, jet skiing, target shooting, jet-boating, and even a little oyster harvesting with Larry The Cable Guy.
Watch it all right here:

https://www.youtube.com/user/HKPSG1Shooter?feature=mhee

Boz Mon

My jet Jon build thread

Post by Boz Mon »

Interesting info. I'll have to do some research.

As far as the tank, it was a custom tank we had siting outside for like 10 years. Cut about 3 or 4 inches out of it, and had a friend weld it back together.

PSG-1

My jet Jon build thread

Post by PSG-1 »

Yep, I know all about cutting a tank to make it fit the boat. :mrgreen: This is what I had to do with my jet boat's tanks, so they would fit the profile of the gunwale:
Fuel Tank Modified.jpg
ALUMA-JET project:
https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopi ... 21&t=22023

Fishing, jet skiing, target shooting, jet-boating, and even a little oyster harvesting with Larry The Cable Guy.
Watch it all right here:

https://www.youtube.com/user/HKPSG1Shooter?feature=mhee

Boz Mon

My jet Jon build thread

Post by Boz Mon »

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

It steers and the gas tank is hooked up. Just a few small things now. Should be on the water next weekend!

Boz Mon

My jet Jon build thread

Post by Boz Mon »

Got some loose ends tied up tonight. Final bodywork and carpeting on the front wood piece on Friday. Saturday will be a test run.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Boz Mon

My jet Jon build thread

Post by Boz Mon »

[ external image ]

Boz Mon

My jet Jon build thread

Post by Boz Mon »

IT RUNS! And I drove it!

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

It's pretty quick and kinda sketchy. Lots of fun and i can't wait till warm weather to really rip it! Need to hook up my reverse, secure the 2 rear vents, and drill holes for air intake.

The only small issue is the pump is placed so it's slightly trimmed nose down.

CedarRiverScooter

My jet Jon build thread

Post by CedarRiverScooter »

Looks really well thought out!

I shimmed my pump to change trim, was a lot of work, just FYI.

Love your brick work BYW.

Boz Mon

My jet Jon build thread

Post by Boz Mon »

My issue is I can't shim the pump. It's one of those 1 piece Yamaha pumps

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk