Hull selection for my jetjon

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wood_Duck

Reaction score
So I've gotten a 1994 Polaris SL750 jet ski I acquired last year and I'm gonna start on my project soon. Around here finding a used jonboat has been rather difficult to do on the cheap. For example locally some guy has a 30ish year old 1232 hull and wants $900. I can get a brand new Alumacraft 1236 for $700! The jetski I'm using means I'm going to have to cut the bottom of the jet ski out and graft it into the jon boat hull, using likely rivets, and 3M epoxy. I have no means to fabricate and have so little money in it so far I dont want to find a bolt-in style. I'm going to do this route then epoxy the crap out of it and finish the bottom in bondo or something similar to smooth it out. What I'm in debate on is whether to go with a 1436 or 1236 hull. I'd much prefer a 1442 or larger but they never seem to turn up and I don't want to pay full price for a new one that I'm going to cut a section out of. I've had a 1032 for puddle jumping and it was questionable at best in stability but the 36" seems much wider at least setting inside of one. Any input between the 12 and 14' options? I'm going to try to add a small center console as I'm not a fan of stick steer, I just dont know yet how to rig up the throttle and such. I'd even considered putting the handle bar off the jet ski on it.

Good choice on the Polaris, I have one & it is a solid engine.

IMO, 14 foot would be the minimum. I have a 1648 & would go even larger if I was to start over. I don't buying recommend a 'junker' boat that leaks, etc - you will put a lot of work into the conversion, so you want to end up with a solid boat.

No need to epoxy the bottom, the rocks will just chew it off anyway.

I used the OEM cables for steering, choke, throttle & reverse. Custom length cables are very expensive (I looked into it).

Latest posts