question for grafting jet ski hull into jon hull

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wood_Duck

Reaction score
yesterday i finished stripping my donor jet ski down and will be cutting the hull soon. For those who have grafted the pump/tunnel/motor mount section from your donor ski into an aluminum hull, what is the best way to go about? epoxy, glass, hardware, mixture of all 3? After an exhaustive search for a hull with no luck I think next month I'm gonna just buy a new 1236-1436 Alumacraft hull since local everyone wants ridiculous amounts of money for used flat bottoms. My initial plan is use a mixture of epoxy and screws to attach it into the hull then smooth out with fiberglass but I'm open to ideas. For the epoxy which is best? 3M 5200?

Recommend 3M5200, 1/8 inch thick bead minimum. This is not epoxy, rather it is a urethane sealant. A cheaper option would be to use roofing sealant, which is a lower grade of same thing. I used 2 caulk tubes of 5200 & got them for $20 each, so using the good stuff didn't break the budget.

Prep the surface by sanding with 80 grit, soon before you apply the sealant. If you can place some 1/8 spacers just outside the joint, they will assure consistent bead thickness. It is runny, so have some cardboard on the floor to catch drips. Next time I do this, I might use tape across the bottom of the seam, to keep it from running out.

The sealant takes a long time to fully cure, like a week.

After it is cured, then drill your screw holes (Also recommended). Put 5200 on the screws when you assemble them so they don't leak.

Make sure & wear gloves, or you will be wearing 5200 for a couple weeks!

Good luck!

Latest posts