Jet Jon project questions

Stevenstout

Post by Stevenstout » 07 Jul 2016, 14:24

So here's an update on the build, I ditched the pods and made different mounts for the trim tabs. So far I've had it up to 39mph at fI'll throttle withe no porpoising. Which yes, is fast for a Jon boat, but with 120hp I think it should go much faster. Especially when I've seen some with 60hp motors going 35mph and 85hp motors going 55mph. I haven't had a while lot of time to mess with trim nozzle adjustment and trim tab adjustment because the river has been pretty high and swift but I can't see that getting much more mph out of it. Any suggestions?
Attachments
20160706_092329.jpg
20160706_092357.jpg
20160706_092654.jpg

RazorBaits
badrider77

Post by badrider77 » 24 Aug 2016, 23:41

Hey guys welcome back! I was looking at my last post and that was in March??? Where did the time go. Sorry I didn't stay in touch. I haven't received any notification that there were replies... So to update you where I'm at. My boat is cut and I've had the hull dry fitted with hardware. Had some weld work done (mostly from me working the metal; had to split it in a few places) Hoping to get it glued in this weekend! There is still time left in the season to get it running. I'll post some pics soon. If you have watched Jocelyn Brucho youtube videos, I modeled after his build with my hull below the bottom of the boat. Plan on keeping the KATS trim system for porpoising. Working on how to have reverse. Thinking of welding a cut down STX ride plate to the existing plate, may also help with porpoising. I'm just wondering how skinny I'll be able to run with my hull sticking down 3"??? Guess we'll see....

badrider77

Post by badrider77 » 25 Aug 2016, 00:07

Lets see if I added them right.
Attachments
Intake
Intake
Going to trim the strap where it overlaps the washer
Going to trim the strap where it overlaps the washer
Side view before cleaning up the rough edges. Cleaned up after removing the hull
Side view before cleaning up the rough edges. Cleaned up after removing the hull
First time attaching a photo here. Hope I'm doing it right. Center console with binacle controls. Used gauges from ski!
First time attaching a photo here. Hope I'm doing it right. Center console with binacle controls. Used gauges from ski!

CedarRiverScooter

Post by CedarRiverScooter » 25 Aug 2016, 20:56

Looking good! You should have any cavitation with your deep set intake. Great console control layout too. Lots of good skimming in the fall, the foliage is pretty.

badrider77

Post by badrider77 » 28 Aug 2016, 18:21

Got her glued in this weekend. Had a pal that owns a windshield company help me out. Used urethane as the sealant. Kinda messy but otta do the trick.
Attachments
20160827_214905.jpg

badrider77

Post by badrider77 » 28 Aug 2016, 18:52

Thanks for the compliment on the console Cedar. I ordered it through a seaark dealer. Made a template from the old ski dash and cut it out using a jig saw and carbide burr. The rubber bezel was part of the cluster. Adds a nice finish to it.

Hope to set the engine tomorrow!!!!!!!!
Attachments
20160828_164549.jpg

badrider77

Post by badrider77 » 12 Sep 2016, 23:14

Just an update.
First I want to apologize to Stevenstout for posting so many of my pics on his thread. Didn't mean to intrude. I was going to start a new thread with my build but had a minor incident while canoeing with my boy scout troop last Saturday. My phone was in a waterproof box, but they aren't very waterproof when they aren't latched... oops! My phone with all my pictures is now living the good life with catfish at the bottom of the Colorado River! Dumped 4 canoes, lost my phone, keys, scouts lost shoes, but everyone was okay! Great for emergency prep training. And great for memories too...
I did set the engine, ordered a helm for a jet boat (mine was for an outboard), need to install exhaust, console, wiring, cables and some other odds and ends. Hoping to get a solid weekend working on it this week. Good possibility she'll be running next weekend. If so, I'll have a video posted and let all of you know how she did.