Where to put my Console.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tenner

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I am new to the forum but have been doing lots of reading for a while. I’m trying to decide what to do with my boat.

I have a Tracker 1654 CC with a 90hp Mercury Jet. I use this boat to hunts ducks and fish. I got it this year. I feel like the Console is back to far. The boat squats in the water and is hard to get in plane in shallow water.

I have been thinking about getting rid of the center console and going with a side console and moving it forward. This will give me more room for gear and people to fish out of. I’m just not sure how far to move it forward. I will attach some pics and a diagram I drew up so please feel free to let me know.
8bdb5e89213bd557d52f3bba358302c9.jpg

I would be putting the S.C. right at the edge of the deck.
ed4c042906ee18f089355fb6ce5dab48.jpg
c9d9db5daf8890f3200894a289428eb9.jpg

My lab weighs 70 lbs but this is how the boat it’s in the water
41de51bf59755dbd72019a734e401cdc.jpg

This is how I am thinking about the layout. I would have deck space plus the space in the back of the seats. I would make the bench in the rear a storage spot as well. Fuel tank is in the rear.

I have thought about leaving it the way it is and putting floatation pods on the rear as well as maybe putting a 15-20 gallon fuel tank in the bow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice rig. Thats a lot a lotta motor....and I like it.

Before I put the money/time in moving that console I think I would put a set of manual trim tabs on there. They can be had for <$150 all over the internet.

I've converted my side console Tracker to center console and it is a fair amount of money and work.

Just my two pesos.

Rob

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

welcome to the forum!

If this were my project before I did any type of metal work I would start by moving weight around. Like moving the battery and fuel tank to the front. You don't have to make anything remotely permanent in the trial process....just use a ratchet strap to tie things down to the front deck. A C clamp over the gunnel makes a pretty good tie off point for anything you might need to tie down.

Also consider if you are going to do these modifications for performance or fit and finish. I'm a "GO" over "SHOW" kinda guy so if I could get the boat to run better by moving crap around and leaving the console where it is, then that is the route I would go personally. but if you need more room......then you need more room and its time to start drilling out pop rivets. But I will warn you steering cables suck! And its never easy to move a console if for no other reason than fighting with those cables....not to mention wiring!

Have you considered stick steering? My first jet was an '02 1448 Tracker Grizzly that had no console in it when I bought it. I bought a 50 horse Yamaha 2 stroke prop motor, converted it to a jet and installed stick steering controls. Sticks are more responsive than any type of wheel steering and also gives you more room in the boat than any type of console. They also put you up front where you can see everything that's ahead when you're running tricky spots.

Do you prefer to sit or stand while driving? I prefer to stand so I like center consoles. If you can remove that front seat section from your console, you could move it forward right up against the deck. I moved my battery up under the console to help with weight distribution and your 90 hp motor is probably the biggest issue with your squatting. But you'll need new cables and wiring if you move the console forward so figure on that additional cost. Lowe makes a nice narrow center console without the seat and you might be able to sell your console to offset that cost. Here's my Lowe with the console moved forward and it helped balance out the weight a lot better.
-

Attachments

• Lowe_1652_5.jpg
    Lowe_1652_5.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 7,016
Ebug said:
Nice rig. Thats a lot a lotta motor....and I like it.

Before I put the money/time in moving that console I think I would put a set of manual trim tabs on there. They can be had for <$150 all over the internet.

I've converted my side console Tracker to center console and it is a fair amount of money and work.

Just my two pesos.

Rob

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Thanks. Ya I like HP you can never have to much.

duckman11 said:
welcome to the forum!

If this were my project before I did any type of metal work I would start by moving weight around. Like moving the battery and fuel tank to the front. You don't have to make anything remotely permanent in the trial process....just use a ratchet strap to tie things down to the front deck. A C clamp over the gunnel makes a pretty good tie off point for anything you might need to tie down.

Also consider if you are going to do these modifications for performance or fit and finish. I'm a "GO" over "SHOW" kinda guy so if I could get the boat to run better by moving crap around and leaving the console where it is, then that is the route I would go personally. but if you need more room......then you need more room and its time to start drilling out pop rivets. But I will warn you steering cables suck! And its never easy to move a console if for no other reason than fighting with those cables....not to mention wiring!

That’s good advice. I will play around with weight more. I’ll tell ya when it’s just me and my Lab in the boat with all the gear on the deck it’s gets on the water quick. If going downriver. If I try to start heading up river it wants to just point straight up and porpoise.

LarryMc said:
Have you considered stick steering? My first jet was an '02 1448 Tracker Grizzly that had no console in it when I bought it. I bought a 50 horse Yamaha 2 stroke prop motor, converted it to a jet and installed stick steering controls. Sticks are more responsive than any type of wheel steering and also gives you more room in the boat than any type of console. They also put you up front where you can see everything that's ahead when you're running tricky spots.

The haven’t thought of that. My uncle built a custom jet boat with a big inboard and runs stick steering.

JL8Jeff said:
Do you prefer to sit or stand while driving? I prefer to stand so I like center consoles. If you can remove that front seat section from your console, you could move it forward right up against the deck. I moved my battery up under the console to help with weight distribution and your 90 hp motor is probably the biggest issue with your squatting. But you'll need new cables and wiring if you move the console forward so figure on that additional cost. Lowe makes a nice narrow center console without the seat and you might be able to sell your console to offset that cost. Here's my Lowe with the console moved forward and it helped balance out the weight a lot better.
-
That’s s nice boat. Yes I like to stand and have thought about that. Also if I’m by myself a S.C. is a little tougher to balance out.

If the squatting is at rest...that is one thing.

If it is squatting when trying to get on plane, just put a set of Smart Tabs on it. I also like the suggestion about putting sponsons on the stern.

Moving weight forward is the first option, though.

Pods would help, or trim tabs, or moving more weight forward. Part of your issue is always going to be that is heavy motor for that hull. Pods/sponsoons would help offset the weight of that motor, more weight upfront would also help. At the end of the day it's just too heavy of a motor for hull, but we work with what we have. I'm in the same boat my motor is a little to heavy for the back of my boat, so I'm waiting till duck season is done with to take it out of commission for a little while to weld some pods on the back.

handyandy said:
Pods would help, or trim tabs, or moving more weight forward. Part of your issue is always going to be that is heavy motor for that hull. Pods/sponsoons would help offset the weight of that motor, more weight upfront would also help. At the end of the day it's just too heavy of a motor for hull, but we work with what we have. I'm in the same boat my motor is a little to heavy for the back of my boat, so I'm waiting till duck season is done with to take it out of commission for a little while to weld some pods on the back.

That’s kinda where I am at right now. Thinking about pods and then maybe a 15-20 gallon fuel tank in the bow. I’d like more room but I don’t want a rough ride of putting a console in the front. I also like to go solo sometimes and I don’t have to worry about weight with a center console compared to side console.

I have a 1648 Grizzly with the console mounted forward like in the sketch. I love being able to anchor out in the river then spin my seats around and fish off the back of the boat while sitting down. I've had a console in the rear of a similar boat and it seemed to take a lot longer to plane. If you you fish by yourself most of the time then I'd just move the center console forward. If you have company a lot then the side console works pretty good.

I'd buy longer cables first and move the console as far forward as you can. Maybe ditch the front storage / seat in the process. It'll help you see down into the water and also makes a nice grab point for working on the front deck. If it's not enough to balance your draft, add some pods.

Latest posts