Thinking about stick steer

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amk

Reaction score
Anyone got a stick stear unit for sale or have recommendations on what I should do. I want to ditch the console. Plan to completely remove console and sit on that cooler seat and put a stick steer console on the right I drew it on left but imagine it on the other side and pardon the crude depiction.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 5,668
Ok so I've decided to try this ezy glide unit I guess it's for outboards but I think I can make it work please speak now if that's wrong because I'm going to order it in a few days if I don't get any negative feedback.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 5,584
I've lots of comments on those (mostly good) but no 1st hand experience. You can get a lemon in anything, so.... but lots of Gheenoe owners use these for SS applications, so they must be pretty good/dependable.

Thanks for the response. I've heard they are good didn't know if anyone stick them on a jetski motor yet.

Please don't take this wrong or negative, I think your idea is very cool...and I don't know what the laws are in your state. In my neck of the woods, if you sit on that cooler seat when on plane, you get about a $170 ticket unless:

A) you add railings, or
B) its registered as a personal watercraft and you follow the overly restrictive rules for operating jet skis, such as no operation after 1 hour before sunset etc.

good luck with the project

Interesting point. I made my own seats, so I am wondering if I am legal. Can you post the legal language or a link to it?

Well 1. I'm getting a welded aluminum rack built tomrorrow with a side console to mount stick on and 2. glqd I don't live in MN where they consider a 16 foot boat a jetski lol. Thanks though.

To CRS: the specific language won't do you any good unless you are in MN. The law varies by state. It isn't the seats that are the issue (in MN). The issue is sitting or standing on a deck that is up to the level of the gunwales or transom without a railing while underway.

To AMK: sorry for the semi-hijack. Let us know how the ezy glide works out. I'll be interested to see how you pair the throttle.

So airboats are illegal in MN? I've never seen 1 airboat with railings around the raised seats.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 5,503
The DNR guy stopped at the ramp one day, thought my boat was way cool. He didn't seem concerned with code at all. I pointed straight at my fire ext & paddle just the same.

Ya man I don't know what dnr guy is but all I've been asked for is life jackets and that's all I keep. If I ever get stopped and a ticket for a whistle and extinguisher I'll gladly pay the ticket. Going on 15 years now. Not paid for one extinguisher.

The rack is coming along well.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 5,468
AMK: The airboat pictured is legal on this particular point because although he is sitting high, there isn't decking from under the seat to the gunwales. As I clarified in my second post above, its not the seats, its sitting or standing on a high deck without a railing (while on plane). Similarly, in CedarRiverScooter's build, his seats are on floor-mounted posts not a high deck that extends to the gunwales/transom and not on the engine cover equivalent of a deck. One example that wouldn't be legal (in MN) under this point is the fully-decked flats style boats called texas scooters, which are designed to directly step on and off a lot for wade fishing, etc.

I am going to bow out of the legalities now, rather just enjoy the cool builds.

Got the rack and boat back yesterday I will attempt to rig the steering today. I stopped by the dealership/shop I bought my boat from to see if they had a tilt tube laying around and I was in luck picked one up for free. Found some on eBay they all were $40 so I I felt pretty good about that score.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 3,543
My ezy glide was too short got to return it for a longer one... :shock: . Can a tilt tube be threaded? All I need to do is get it threaded and I can hook it up once I get the longer steering in.

Couple more

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 3,526
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 3,526

Latest posts