What throttle control are you using?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CedarRiverScooter

Reaction score
I have a PWC finger throttle, it is making my hand sore (typical ride is about an hour).

I was wondering what others are using.

I would like a lever type control, but the polaris cable isn't anything like an outboard cable end.

Also am concerned that it needs to spring back to idle.

Thanks

Could you move it to the steering wheel or stick you hold to drive? So this way you steering and driving with the on hand. I have mine mounted so where I grab the wheel I also grab the throttle.

I had thought of mounting throttle on steering stick but safety-wise decided that if I get startled in a tight spot, I might accidently squeeze the throttle while steering or vice versa. I also let my guests run the boat, they always get a kick out of it.

I was hit by a boat once (in our ski boat, was just sitting in middle of river) & when it became apparent the other driver wasn't facing forward, I kinda panicked & couldn't even find the horn button. We just laid down & fortunately no one got hurt. My point is that accidents can happen really fast.

The real problem is I am getting arthritis. I need to get away from the constant squeeze.

Old pics from December of 2005, about 6 months after I built the boat.

Console Completed.jpg

Control Box.jpg

Inside lever is throttle, and outside lever is reverse gate control. And the small lever in the center that looks like some kind of tab, was the choke lever, activated by pressing down....no longer used as the newer engine is a 4 stroke.

Pretty simple design, and it has worked for the last 10 years.

Thanks for the picture PSG!

Looks like I will have to fab one from scratch like you did. Winter is coming so that should take a week of it to build.

Those controls have been slightly upgraded since that photo, or 'pimped' if you will.... :mrgreen:

100_0325.JPG

All bronze. 8)

100_4236.jpeg

Hopefully these show a little more detail.

Only other aspect of the control box is to design a cable clamp to securely hold the throttle cable. I used a small thick piece of aluminum and milled a groove across it with a ball end mill, slightly shallower than 1/2 the diameter of the cable conduit, then threaded a hole in the center for a machine screw, and then a cover plate with a hole for the screw. After machining, I welded it to a bracket that attaches to the console. When the cover plate is installed and the screw is tightened, it securely holds the cable conduit. I don't have any pics of that in my photos, but I can take a few if you want them for visual reference.

And as far as clamping the reverse cable (if you have one), use a piece of solid aluminum round stock, and bore it out to the diameter of the control cable where the groove is. Then, bore a couple of opposing holes into the round stock, and thread them for setscrews. These setscrews will be positioned in that groove of the cable. Once you figure out the correct positioning, weld the round stock to a bracket made from a short clip of aluminum angle, similar to the clip for the throttle cable.

Good luck with it, and post some pics of how it turns out!

Latest posts