trolling motor on a jet jon

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duckman11

Reaction score
Has anyone had an issue with their exhaust filling up with water while using the trolling motor on a jet jon?

The reason that I ask is.....one of my friends at work bought a jet ski and was working on getting some of the "storage gremlins" worked out. The ski died in the middle of the lake and he called me to tow him back to shore "about 600yrds". So I hooked up to him and towed him back to shore with my trolling motor on my center console bay boat. When we got back to the boat ramp my buddy noticed that the ski felt much heavier. He started messing with his carbs and pulled the plugs and that's when he realized that his crankcase was full of water.

I'm assuming that me towing him in was enough to turn the impeller and feed the cooling water supply line.

Seems like a coincidence to me. I had to get towed once (had 750 polaris) & was towed at plowing speed, maybe 8 MPH. No water got in engine. A good avoidance plan is to carry something to pinch off the inlet water hose - then you can just focus on cussing out the ignition system!

or buy a Kawasaki and cuss the carbs lol

I think I will plumb in a ball valve or check valve of some kind

A ball valve would be worth the investment. I can't see how a check valve could work, as you want the water to flow in that same direction when engine runs.

I have a tilt-up aux mount & small outboard hanging there for plan B. Probably should install the ball valve for the day when it pushes me back to the ramp - I may not be so lucky next time!

kawi ski's had a rubber flapper over the exhaust outlet just for this reason.

The water inlet hose (from the pump) should be routed up high, helps keep water from getting into the engine without it running. Yamaha's were so simple back in the day, and that's all they did was run the water inlet hose to a high point under the seat, above the water line, then back to the engine. Only time I ever seen water in those engines was when the operator flipped it back over the wrong way, or it was sunk (very rare) or it was towed backwards at a lot of speed-which yes it did happen. Guys would moor them behind or beside pontoons backwards and get mad at us when they wouldn't start, as if we were the "bad guy".

Latest posts