New Outboard jet rig

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys...I'm New to the forum. Nice to meet all of you. I've been fishing the juniata and the Susquehanna river here in PA all my life. Started running jets about 10 years ago. Started off with a 1648 Lund with a 25/20 nissan tiller. Upgraded or so I thought...to a Bass tracker with a 55 suzuki jet pump. Boat ran good...gps around 31 with just me in it. Just wasn't enough room for the family with the console....live well..etc. Plus I started to hate the console steering. Grew up on the river with tillers. To make a long story short, I am in the process of purchasing a new 1870 weld-craft. Open floor plan...aluminum floor. Maximum HP rating is 80. So I am going with a new 2015 yamaha 115/80 tiller. I was wondering what everyone thought about this combination. Will this motor be enough ? Will it be over powered? How do you think the boat will draft.? Est top speed ? I just want to go back to the way I used to fish. No frills.....Just get me there and have the room for more than 2 people. Any input would be greatly appreciated . Thanks guys....Will be waiting to hear some responses. I'm a big boy...I can take it. lol. As soon as I pick it up next week from Duckys Boats near Harrisburg I'll post some pics

That sounds like & ideal combo should be more than enough power for sure! I'm a long time tiller guy myself on the same river I got my first 6hp when I was 16, then went to a 15hp then a 30hp (all prop driven & now have a 40/30 tiller jet) lol I'm 44 now. Good luck with your new boat!

Djknyork .... I'll turn 51 this October. So I'm pretty excited about finally getting what I always wanted, but could never really afford. Hopefully this boat is just the ticket I need. Where do you fish the Susky at? I usually put in right below Miller's Ferry. Fishing isn't quite as good as it was 30 years ago, but the river still produces some nice smallies and a few good cats.

riverjet115/80 said:
Fishing isn't quite as good as it was 30 years ago, but the river still produces some nice smallies and a few good cats.

Isn't that the truth!! :cry: And the duck hunting is nothing compared to what it used to be either.

I'm just a little older than you & it makes me wanna cry when I think back to the days when 20 - 30 smallies was considered a decent but not great evening of fishing. The new "decent" standard is more like 2 - 3.

If you want to explore new water with your new rig, try the Susquehanna Flats/Upper Bay area. The striper fishing there is also just a shadow of what it used to be but tons of catfish, decent smallmouth fishing up the river towards the dam, perch & shad fishing seasonally, and largemouths. It's worth the occasional 1 1/2 hour drive. I also head out to Raystown now & then, but I have yet to really figure out the secrets to that lake.

I can't comment on the hull/motor size combination, but I will say I'm a big fan of a stick steering setup. I have a Tracker 1648 with a 50/35 Johnson and couldn't imagine trying to navigate the sketchy parts of the river from the back seat with a tiller. Being front and center with a stick steer setup makes it easier for me to see whats ahead while underway. But if your use to a tiller that might not matter. Also, on my boat at least, having the captains seat up front keeps weight distribution just right. Although if you set things up right with battery and fuel tank placement you'll be just fine. I'm not a big fan of consoles either, they seem to get in the way. I removed my middle bench and installed a captains seat to open up my floor. I still have to move around the captains seat but it's not like having to step over a bench or around a big clunky console.

Jealous of the 1870 size by the way. I'd like to a wider boat.

Here is how mine looks with a stick steer setup.
IMG_20140413_193822_zpsqjk8kvv7.jpg

IMG_20140308_103919_zpsketcbwn3.jpg

riverjet115/80 said:
Djknyork .... I'll turn 51 this October. So I'm pretty excited about finally getting what I always wanted, but could never really afford. Hopefully this boat is just the ticket I need. Where do you fish the Susky at? I usually put in right below Miller's Ferry. Fishing isn't quite as good as it was 30 years ago, but the river still produces some nice smallies and a few good cats.

You & duckfish are spot on.
I feel the same way it's a crying shame what's happened to the river. I grew up 2 blocks from the river in New Cumberland and remember 50+ fish days when I was 13-14 years old! I really only fish the spawn before the season closes & maybe a time or 2 in June after it opens back it and that's about it anymore. I fish n hunt waterfowl out of New Cumberland & West Fairview so I'm just below you.
Yah ur rig is a dream rig for sure, I've often thought about getting a bigger rig or at least a bigger motor but I just don't fish enough anymore to justify the cost. But I do like tiller steer n an open layout. I've got a back bench n a front casting deck only on a 17/56.

BigTerp that's a pretty sweet setup. I have seen a lot of different fellows running the stick steers on the river. Never really knew if I'd like it or not. But I like the way it's set up. Never really had a problem reading the river with skinny water with a tiller. I grew up running them most of my life. Thursday I pick up the new rig. I'll let you all know how it does. Hopefully the smallies are hitting next Saturday. If you guys head out on the water....good luck, and be safe out there. I'll get some pics of the set up when I pick it up next week.

duckfish ....many years ago my father and I used to make the 2 hour drive to the susky every weekend from May to September. It was defiantly worth the trip. We used to fish for cats at night...stay on one of the islands. Fish dusk till dawn. A good night was 25 to 35 nice channel cats. Sometimes couldn't hardly get the cooler lid shut let alone room for much ice. Those days are far gone where we used to go. Last couple times only caught 3 cats. Don't really know what happened to that part of the river. But someday I might just try up stream where you said. Thanks for the tip.

Here's a pic of the boat when we went to Duckys to look at them. Makes the wife look small. Lol

Attachments

• 20150516_122425.jpg
    20150516_122425.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 3,664
Sweet man! That's a barge! I like that set up - can haul a lot of decoys when they're open like that.
Btw I hear the place to be for catfish, both flatheads and channels is down around Fallmouth and Marrietta. Might want to check those areas out if you're into catfish.

riverjet you can catch those kinds of numbers of catfish again. I spend most of my time hunting for stripers, I guess cause I have some kind of masochistic drive to seek what's not there, but we catch some cats on cut bait and jigging. When I get sick of not catching stripers and focus on cats, the catching can be real steady, and that's daytime fishing. If you ever decide to go down, let me know and I'll help give you as much specific intel as I can.

dj, I often am on the river, just below you. Hunt the airport stretch a lot and sometimes run up to your area when the water is up enough. Used to have permission thru a buddy's co-worker to use a private cabin & island right across from the NC park ramp, but haven't been up there for 4 - 5 years. When duck season rolls around again, pm me if you're looking for someone to sit & watch the river go by with. Winter is slow time for me so I hunt a fair amount during the week. Many mornings, when I get bored with not killing ducks, I cook up a mean breakfast burrito on the boat.

And yes, flatheads can be found at Falmouth. Haven't night fished there the last 2 years because frankly it became a circus of boats, but most nights it was a fun crowd. Fishing with 20' between boats just wasn't for me. Probably will give it a try again soon. I'll let you know how I make out.

Thanks duckfish...Thanks for the intel. If I do get down that way I'll definitely let you know. It would be awesome to get back into catching cats again like I used to. We usually use soft shell crayfish to catch them. Best bait I have found.

70" on the bottom is wide. I don't think you could do a stick steer very well but a forward console would fit really nice with plenty of room to walk around it.

I will suggest you get some slickery bottom paint 'cause it's gonna suck if it ever gets hung up.

DJ & Riverjet, just thought I'd let you guys know the airport stretch of the river seems to be pretty good fishing right now. Had a very good afternoon there Sat. & the other guys I talked to or saw fishing near us did well also. Caught a dozen bass and lost count but I'd say at least 18 catty's. Saw a monster of a flathead, which is the first time I've seen one of them in that stretch.

It was by far the most trailers I've seen in the Swatara parking lot in years so word must be out that the fishing is good.

You must post pictures of the boat when you gets the moter oon it and tell how she performs.I like the tiller setup on the Jon boats aswell

Hotshotinn, picked up the boat Friday. Got a chance to take it out Saturday. All I can say is I'm a happy camper. This boat is awesome. Had 4 adults in the boat. Broke the motor in slow to seat the rings properly. After about an hour of putting around plugging for smallies, I decided to open her up for a couple seconds. I told everyone in the boat are you guys ready to see what she can do, they agreed. Twisted the tiller to the max, boat took off like a rocket. The wife slid off the bow onto the aluminum floor. The other 2 guys who were sitting in lawn chairs came sliding back up against the rear seat where I was sitting. The boat was on full plane in a little over a boat length. This is no bull. This motor has torque. Pushes this boat like it weighs nothing. Top speed I would estimate around 37-38. My old bass tracker would run 32 with just me in it. This motor would quickly walk away and then some. Once on plane I could reduce throttle to less than half throttle and still remain on full plane. The boat drafts about 7 inches of water. I am so pleased with this new rig. Weld Craft boats are awesome. Couldn't be happier. And this 115/80 yamaha jet is just scary. More than enough power. I'll take a couple pics tonight and post them soon. I have a video of me and my buddy running upstream. I'll try to see if I can get it loaded on here also.

Just took this pic...The only bad part about the boat is it's too big to fit under my pavilion. Can't really go anymore cause the motor will hit the angled roof rafters. Just ordered a 21x18 carport to park it under.

Attachments

• 20150615_185012.jpg
    20150615_185012.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 1,576

Latest posts