Tohatsu 25 vs 35 jet

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rktman

Reaction score
Just wondering, but has anyone checked into the differences between a Tohatsu 40/25 and a 50/35.
Same displacement motor but I'm assuming it's a computer or injection difference?
Thanks.

on the new tldi engines if the power heads are the same as prop engines which I believe they are the difference is the 40 has restricter plates on the throttle bodies and the ecm's are different little different tune I'm guessing. Some guys with the prop 40 tldi's I know have removed the restricters and say it makes a difference do they put out the same power as 50's that way idk. I would imagine the jet outboards are the same way as far as I know everything power head wise is the same as the prop models.

Looks like the same powerhead and same weight. Between the 2 I would go with the 35 if your boat is rated for it.

Better power to weight ratio. You will get a better hole shot and be able to haul more weight.

Thanks guys. I did some more searching on the restrictor plate. It looks lIke power can be gained though some worry about it creating a lean condition. If anyone has done the removal, I would be very interested in the results.

just get the factory 35 worth it in the long run some swear its the plates that are the only difference, others being tohatsu dealers/techs swear its that among other things computer/tune mainly.

Thanks, I would if I could(buy a 35) but we have a 25 hp limit on parts of our rivers.
I already have the 40/25 Tohatsu and love it, just wondering what kind of tweeks can be done without harming anything.

When those motors first came out I know of a guy that bought a 40/25 and wanted it converted over to a 50/35 and I want to say by the time it was done he had a extra $5000 in the motor. Back then you couldn't get tilt trim on the 40/25 not sure if you can now. The computers are different and I can't remember if the throttle body was different or if it just had a restrictor plate. I think that was the differences between them though.
handyandy said:
get the 35 and throw 25 stickers on it other than the decals they look identical
They check that on these rivers.

Huh would be hard to tell on the tohatsu's other than decals they look identical they actually check the motor tag with serial number and model?

handyandy said:
Huh would be hard to tell on the tohatsu's other than decals they look identical they actually check the motor tag with serial number and model?

Ozark National Scenic Riverways, they check the motor id for serial # and model and give it a thorough inspection. They will also call it in to check the registration if in any doubt.