New grease recommended by OutboardJets as of March 18, 2015

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhoganjr

Reaction score
Anyone else see this on their website.
https://outboardjets.com/a-change-in-the-type-of-grease-for-driveshaft-bearings/

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-07-18-23-12-25.png
    Screenshot_2015-07-18-23-12-25.png
    217.7 KB · Views: 4,789
I saw this and it seems very curious because they are going to a thicker grease. I emailed Brian at obj and he called me to explain. I wasn't able to answer but his voice mail said it was something easier to explain than email. Thanks for reminding me. I'm almost out of grease and was gonna call and clarify this before I bought my next tube of grease.

I plan to call tomorrow and order a few things, I'm going to ask about it then. I'll post back what I find out.

Talked to Brian at Outboard Jets. Simple explanation is that the 630-AA formulation has changed and the grease is now thinner, the new recommended 2 NLGI 630-2 is thicker.

I asked if they were compatible or if the old grease needs flushed out as I figured it would. He said it would be best to flush the old out.

New grease is on the way.

Thanks for reporting back! I'll be sure to pump out all the old grease and get some of the 2-4-C. This should be a sticky or noted in the links section.

I apologize if this is overly obvious... but based on the above, if you obtained your grease tubes before the formulation was changed, you wouldn't need to pump out all the existing grease and switch over to 2 NLGI 630-2 until you run out of what you have now.

That would be correct and I was about out anyway, so I have the new ordered. When I finish with my current tube I will be switching. The old grease served me well over the years with no bearing failures, but if there is something better and Outboard Jets recommends using it, I will be switching.

Wanted to make sure everyone knew if or when they switch that it is best to flush the old out. It's not something everyone would think about.

So when I bought my engine it had some type of green/blue grease in the pump. I've since pumped it all out with the white stuff. Today I introduced this peanut butter brown 2-4-C into the mix and have puppy turds coming out. I pumped about half a tube into it and I'd say I'm over 50/50 with the new grease. I use a small hand pump to put the grease in and it is rough trying to pump enough to get all the old fluid out.

Hi,
I just joined the site and have been jet boating for years but had no idea of the revised lubrication product; thanks so much for the information, better late than never !

redrum said:
So when I bought my engine it had some type of green/blue grease in the pump. I've since pumped it all out with the white stuff. Today I introduced this peanut butter brown 2-4-C into the mix and have puppy turds coming out. I pumped about half a tube into it and I'd say I'm over 50/50 with the new grease. I use a small hand pump to put the grease in and it is rough trying to pump enough to get all the old fluid out.
Somehow missed your post on this. It doesn't hold much grease, you just have to get out what you can till new grease comes out. The bearings will still have some of the old in them. As you run it, it will mix with the new and will eventually be all fresh as you add more. It shouldn't hurt it, just keep it greased.

After several times out I take a zip lock bag and hold around the hose, then pump fresh grease till it comes out about the consistency of what I'm putting in. An empty soda bottle will work also, either one makes it easier to dispose of without making a mess. The old grease will be thinner, more liquid like, and slight to medium gray. Gives you an idea of the condition of the bearings. When the grease starts coming out dark to black in color it is going to need replaced soon.

Stlfishin said:
Hi,
I just joined the site and have been jet boating for years but had no idea of the revised lubrication product; thanks so much for the information, better late than never !
I just happened to notice it when I went to order parts through Outboard Jets. First I had heard of it, I had been using the same grease since the late 90's. Do my best to pass on useful information.

Reminder to anyone reading this!

Make sure whatever type of grease gun you use to pump the grease in slowly. High pressure or forcing it in to quickly can force the seals out and allow water to enter the bearings causing rapid bearing failure.

Are you guys ordering this directly from Outboard Jets? I'm about due for a new tube. I use a jiffy luber to grease my jet. When I search for the Quicksilver 2-4-C type 2 grease, I find a few different types. Some have teflon, others not, etc. What exactly are you ordering?

BigTerp said:
Are you guys ordering this directly from Outboard Jets? I'm about due for a new tube. I use a jiffy luber to grease my jet. When I search for the Quicksilver 2-4-C type 2 grease, I find a few different types. Some have teflon, others not, etc. What exactly are you ordering?
I ordered mine from Outboard Jets, I was getting some other stuff, so I just ordered it to. It is Lubriplate No. 630-2 part # L0072-098 and I got the Plews LubriMatic pistol grease gun part # 30-310

For the jiffy luber you want the Quicksilver 2-4-C type 2 grease, part # 552.7 through Outboard Jets or you can get it through most Mercury dealers. The Mercury 2-4-C type 2 is the same as the Quicksilver and they both have teflon.

Attachments

• 20151027_180120.jpg
    20151027_180120.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 4,367
  • 20151027_180217.jpg
    20151027_180217.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 4,367
  • 14459874476091218387967.jpg
    14459874476091218387967.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 4,367
They are both the same. The Mercury products are Quicksilver, but with a different label. Most of the time the Mercury label is a little higher. The part #'s are the same except for a Q at the end on the Quicksilver in this case.

Here is all you need to know about Quicksilver. https://www.quicksilver-products.com/en/about