Mercury 30jet cutting out....

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xFORBESx

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I bought my boat last November it has a mercury 30jet. The first dozen times out it ran very well.. but the last few times out it spits and sputters, and will barely start. Sometimes it will go wot, but this morning could barely do that... it has oil injection, is it possible that it's getting to much oil?
I have been told that two strokes with oil injection run better if I disconnect to oiler, and just mix my gas...

Any input on this would be awesome

b7d775b0c260af829d6f97693195b806.jpg

00dcf38c0c32e908925d18fbfa6f045f.jpg

84dc4c5f6653c676c018355e2ba0c4be.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

How old are the fuel lines? If they haven't been replaced in the last couple of years I would start there first. Ethanol eats them and the lining will break up in little bits and clog lines filters, etc. Does it have good gas in the tank, again the ethanol will pull moisture out of the air adding water to the gas causing phase separation.

I would start with the fuel system and go from there

Check the fuel filter first, it might be getting clogged. Then try squeezing the fuel line ball when it acts up to see if it responds to that.

The fuel filter, and tank were both new as of September 2015, I have also tried two different tanks. Carbs were supposed to have been cleaned at a service center before I bought it. I replaced the ignition switch about 2 months ago, and at that time spark tested well on all 4 plugs...

No I haven't, trying to find a local merc dealer to have it looked over. Have any of you removed the automatic oil injection and mixed the oil yourselves? If so did it seem to help

My 60/45 had a bad oil injection system when I got the motor. It wouldn't run well when I first tried and then found it leaking out of the pump housing so I took it apart and disabled it. I premix and it runs fine. You might be able to disconnect the oil line to test it but I'm not sure if you could risk burning up the oil pump if there is nothing flowing through it since I think it will still be pumping. Mine had a gear with a shaft that I removed so the oil pump housing is still there but it doesn't have the gear running it.

JL8Jeff said:
My 60/45 had a bad oil injection system when I got the motor. It wouldn't run well when I first tried and then found it leaking out of the pump housing so I took it apart and disabled it. I premix and it runs fine. You might be able to disconnect the oil line to test it but I'm not sure if you could risk burning up the oil pump if there is nothing flowing through it since I think it will still be pumping. Mine had a gear with a shaft that I removed so the oil pump housing is still there but it doesn't have the gear running it.
Okay thanks for the info! I'm going to try a few thinks, and disabling the oil pump, and plugging the line is one of them

Okay so today I removed oil tank, plugged the line, and now the motor will start instantly. The only thing I need to do now is remove the shafts and gear from oil pump itself. Thanks for the info guys! Do you guys recommend 87 or 91 octane fuel in a 2 stroke outboard?

Latest posts