Mercury 40/30 jet pump

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rktman

Reaction score
I have a 97 Mercury 40/30 jet (4 cyl) that has low compression on a cylinder.

I've looked through outboard jets catalog but cant find which model pump it is, no tag either.

I'm wondering what other motor I might be able to swap this jet lower to.

Thanks.

At least you know one motor it will fit.
Someone on here may know, but I would call or email OBJ's and tell them the year and model of the motor, L or S shaft, and they should be able to give you the info. as to what exactly it will fit. By giving them pertinent info. about which motor it is already on, they should know what jet is on that motor, and what else it will fit. From the dealings I had with them, they seem like an excellent co. to deal with and are willing to try to help.
You still have their pump, no matter what motor it's on, so it's also to their benefit to help you, give it a shot!

to followup, Outboad Jets emailed back and said this is probably an E series pump (discontinued).

Look at the AK model under Mercury 30-40 hp
https://outboardjets.com/jet-drives/

And then at the description on the AK model under medium pumps, might be what you are looking for.
https://outboardjets.com/outboard-jets-product-catalog/medium-series/

for not much over a $1500 should be able to get a rebuilt powerhead and not have someone else's problem,, did you look into what was the cause of low compression, could be a easy inexpensive fix

""BOAT"" Bust Out Another Thousand

Hmm, looks like it could be an AK model based on that sheet.

Unfortunately, I don't think you can inspect the cylinder on these 4 cylinders without taking out the bottom end (not a traditional head/cylinder arrangement). I did try seafoam and carb cleaning/atf to unstick the rings, but that didn't help. I've been looking for a decent running powerhead from a prop motor with a bad lower unit, no luck yet.