Mercury 60/40 EFI 4 stroke

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rotus623

Reaction score
Hey fellas, just wondering what you guys think about a 2007 Mercury 4 stroke EFI. I have always had 2 stroke carbed motors and can fix em as good as new. Something about having to take it to the shop for a diagnostic, and really not being able to work on the engine aside from waterpump, thermostat, spark plugs and parts swapping is a deterant for me.

But, having 4 stroke idling properties and quick starts is certainly a plus, that I have not seen much of in the 2 stoke world. :)

Just wondering the reliabilty, as I know Merc's EFI system has been around for quite some time. Thanks fellas!

I sure liked my old two stroke I bought new in 04. It was a two cylinder Johnson 40/28. Had it on a 17/52 flat bottom. Had to sell out and in 2015 bought all new setup. 1852 with 60/40 mercury jet. So much more power than my40/28 had. Quieter, faster, easier on gas,no mixing gas, and it was lots cheaper than the two strokes you can buy today from other manufacturers. It won't quite run with the Johnson 60/40 two strokes from back in the day but is good enough for me. By myself with gear on the river it will hit 33 consistently downstream and 31 up. It starts easy and mine is the big tiller. Trim is right where you need it as well as forward and reverse. By far the most popular motor on the river I run the most which is the current river in Missouri. We have motor restriction of 40 hp and below the national park part of the river. They seem very dependable and don't hear many bad things about them. Now, I don't have any experience with an 07 model. So what I told you is for the newer ones. I just sold all my 2015 setup and now have all 2017 setup sitting in my shop that I have not had in the water. I had a buddy that had an 09 and he spoke highly of it. Not much help to you but my two cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks a lot, that is actually very helpful!! I am looking for reliability. I am very fond of my two strokes, and always will be as far as I can tell. The amount of moving parts in the 4 strokes is what scares me, but they idle so pretty!!

rotus623 said:
Thanks a lot, that is actually very helpful!! I am looking for reliability. I am very fond of my two strokes, and always will be as far as I can tell. The amount of moving parts in the 4 strokes is what scares me, but they idle so pretty!!
Glad to help. Those are just my experiences. I am pleased with the Merc 4 strokes

archery68 said:
rotus623 said:
Glad to help. Those are just my experiences. I am pleased with the Merc 4 strokes

Very nice to hear. I hear the spark plugs are a BEAR to get to, do you know that to be true?

Only reason that I ask is because I would like to run a compression test on the motor, but if they are too hard to get to on the fly I doubt the seller will let me get at them..........

rotus623 said:
archery68 said:
rotus623 said:

Very nice to hear. I hear the spark plugs are a BEAR to get to, do you know that to be true?

Only reason that I ask is because I would like to run a compression test on the motor, but if they are too hard to get to on the fly I doubt the seller will let me get at them..........
They look like they would be a bear!!!! With that said, I fish, hunt, shoot and play golf. Zero mechanical skills. I can change the oil and that's bout it.

the 40/28 and 60/40 is no comparison in terms of power. You would have to compare a newer merc 25-30hp jet for a equivalent comparison as the johnson 40/28 would have only been a two cylinder turning a medium series pump. 60/40 of any kind is turning a large series pump. With that said I'm partial to two strokes something about the smokey exhaust when you first fire up gets the senses going right on a early day of hunting or fishing, and I kind of like the choppy idle of two strokes, but that is just me. I'll admit of the four chokes mercury seems to have gotten it down pretty well with the new 60hp power heads. The best jet 60/40's were the omc three cylinder two strokes. But if no smoke, quiet, easy starts, easy idle are what you want more so than a little faster go with a efi four stroke. Whatever you do no carbed four strokes they suck.

handyandy said:
the 40/28 and 60/40 is no comparison in terms of power. You would have to compare a newer merc 25-30hp jet for a equivalent comparison as the johnson 40/28 would have only been a two cylinder turning a medium series pump. 60/40 of any kind is turning a large series pump. With that said I'm partial to two strokes something about the smokey exhaust when you first fire up gets the senses going right on a early day of hunting or fishing, and I kind of like the choppy idle of two strokes, but that is just me. I'll admit of the four chokes mercury seems to have gotten it down pretty well with the new 60hp power heads. The best jet 60/40's were the omc three cylinder two strokes. But if no smoke, quiet, easy starts, easy idle are what you want more so than a little faster go with a efi four stroke. Whatever you do no carbed four strokes they suck.
I agree on the comparison between the 40/28 and the 60/40. Totally different animal. My point was that it was a big step up from the 40/28 and it was. I have a family member that has the 3 cyl Johnson and if they still made them today I would have got one, they are powerful motors. For me the merc 60/40 was the best option and the most affordable and is not the fastest but provides ample enough performance for my use. You can still find the Johnson 3 cyl jets around here but they are quite expensive for a motor 12 years old or so with zero warranty. On a busy day on the current river you see tons of the merc 4 strokes. Very popular.

Have a 2012 60/40 Merc four stroke jet and love it. Just change the oil and fuel filters and she runs like a top. I have about 200 hours on it and starts and idles great whether it is the middle of summer fishing or a 25 degree morning duck hunting.

Rrider said:
Have a 2012 60/40 Merc four stroke jet and love it. Just change the oil and fuel filters and she runs like a top. I have about 200 hours on it and starts and idles great whether it is the middle of summer fishing or a 25 degree morning duck hunting.

Thanks for the input. I am very happy with mine so far. Just did spark plugs, timing belt, valve adjustment, oil change. I suspect that I need to do the fuel filters. I had her out yesterday (30 degrees out) and I had to lift the neutral idle lever to get her to start and stay running. Warmed her up for 3-4 minutes then headed out. Once I did that, she started right up and idled perfectly all day long. Just took more effort than I would expect on a cold start. Is this normal or an issue?

I also heard you have to de-pressurize the fuel system before changing the fuel filters. Is this correct?

Latest posts