OMC 3 Cyl. Jet

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redrum

Reaction score
I'm currently running a 2 cyl. 50/35 jet and am looking for more power. I feel like my Grizzly is just a little too heavy and I'm looking to get a bit more performance. I've considered getting a new Merc 60/40 but I'm just not convinced it would be much of an upgrade. I'm looking really hard at finding an older 3 Cyl. 60 OMC and put a jet on it. I know they run the larger impeller 6-7/8 which should be a good upgrade over my current 6-1/8. I'm just wondering if it would be a noticeable difference. I'm estimating the additional weight to be somewhere around 40lbs. Plus I'd need to use a static jackplate since it would be a 20" motor.

Can someone with experience with these motors provide any insight? Would it be worth it or should I look further?

I can't tell you the difference between going to an OMC 60/40 2S from an OMC 50/35 2S on your boat, but I can tell you that going from a Yamaha 50/35 (prop conversion) 2S to a Merc 60/40 2S made a world of difference on a 1750 Duracraft I used to have. IMO, you would be able to tell a lot of difference if you made a swap like that.

I also think you are right that upgrading to a Merc 60/40 4S would not show a lot of improvement over what you have now. Some improvement, yes. But not enough to justify the cost.

It made a 4 mph difference on my old grizzly. Major improvement on hole shot too.

And this was with a 49 cu inch short shaft 75, vs the torqueyer 56 cu in 70.

Id be looking for a 70 over the 60. Same motor weight, and easier to find.

Thanks for the input. It seems like just upgrading to the larger pump is a big help. Does anyone happen to know the changes from a 60 to a 70? I'm assuming carbs or maybe exhaust.

Carbs with bigger throats and different jetting I think the exhaust was about the same. On the older 49ci the 75hp ones had taller exhaust ports letting them spin a little higher and get that extra 5hp on top. The 56ci ones started in 1987 and are bit more torquey than the earlier 49ci ones. Running the larger pump will help be it new 4s or 2s. The 2s being a little better if you don't mind the 2s things, oil mixing, smoke, louder, not as smooth as a idle as a fuel injected 4s. You can find the 49ci 70hp 3cyl cheap as long as you know how to work on them most of them to run again usually don't need anything more than carb rebuilds, new fuel pump diaphragm, maybe some plugs, and water pump/t-stat to be water worthy again. The 56 will be a little better but they tend to cost more like I said 1987 and later are 56ci ideally find a 70 that already has the bigger carbs. The 49's are cheap though and still good engines. Friend of mine recently got a 1979 70hp johnson with a cracked lower unit for 200 bucks. He is running prop so he found a lower unit housing on ebay for just over 100 swapped his gears and bearings over with new seals, new water pump, went through the carbs, put a tiller handle on from a early 90's 40hp he got for 150 or so it's been great so far. It took a little figuring out to make the throttle linkage, shift linkage, primer, and kill switch all work on the earlier engine with the later tiller but it's a great engine. Pushes his 2060 flat bottom with a prop 36 with two of us in it, three guys and duck hunting crap it still does 33-34. You would be happy with making the switch.

Latest posts