Thinking about going the other way Mercury 60/40 Jet

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billres

Reaction score
Morning Gents , I have a 2008 factory Merc 60/40 Jet. Due to job move I now fish different rivers and have quite a bit of run time . Do not actually need jet for new location. Saw a post on some other board about factory jets not having a clutch ( ? ) and powerhead needs removing before installing prop lower unit. I'm thing about converting to a prop , would this just be a straightforward swap , jet to prop lower unit or am I looking at something more involved ? Any advice appreciated , Thanks

I'm not an expert but I have never heard of an outboard having a clutch unless that's something with newer motors but I don't think so should just need to remove the pump and put the lower unit back on

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Mine has 3 bolts. Pull one off, slide the other on. You might find someone who wants to swap you a lower unit for your jet unit.

Thats what I was thinking , never heard of a clutch , just trying to touch all my bases. I think the shift linkage will have to be tinkered with a little bit , everything else should bolt right up.

Never done it so don't know what all is involved, but it's not as simple as just swapping out the lowers. The factory jet doesn't have the shift linkage required for a prop lower. You will have to get the parts required and install them or you won't be able to use a prop unit.

LarryMc said:
Never done it so don't know what all is involved, but it's not as simple as just swapping out the lowers. The factory jet doesn't have the shift linkage required for a prop lower. You will have to get the parts required and install them or you won't be able to use a prop unit.
Good point, mine is not a factory jet. In fact I have two lower units and the shift linkage is already there. Connecting that up to your lower unit is not a big deal. Not sure about the other end on a modern engine.

Something else I forgot about in my first reply. The midsection length is different in the 60 hp prop motors and the factory 60/40 jet. The factory 60/40 jet has a 15" midsection, the props are 20". So to make this work you would have to swap out the entire short midsection on your motor for the longer one and also add all the other parts that are needed to make a prop lower work. You would be better off just selling your motor and buying a prop motor or swapping it for one.

Latest posts