Tohatsu

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One dealer said yes, another said no. Called factory, yes they do, it's a two stroke but not like the E-Tec in design.

Got the transom fixed, ready to power the 1648. A two stroke 50/35 jet is ideal for the hull and waters I boat/fish. But, there are only three Tohatsu dealers within 200 miles. It will be a tiller and the shop the boat's in for transom work can handle setting it up. I'm in northwest NC and the closest dealer priced it in the box at $8k, with tax/shipping. Can anyone give me a option to price this elsewhere?

I know someone who recently bought one and he told me he paid CAN$8000 which translates to around US$6300. Looking around the MSRP is $US8700 for the basic tiller model.

Excluding state sales tax, I'm being priced about $7300. There is a trade show this weekend nearby big city and factory rep is there. Asked him to give me a bottom dollar quote on Friday. If he gets down on a show discount, might have to jump.

If I wait around for something used, it may be a long time powering up. They have a 5yr warranty.

Are you set on a two stroke? I wanted a two stroke as well recently but after pricing the etec and the tohotsu, I went with the Mercury 60/40 jet. I got the Mercury with big tiller for right at 6. There are Mercury dealers everywhere here in Missouri if anything gos wrong with it. The tohatsu 50/35 was 7500-7800. After owning it for awhile now I love it. Easy on gas, super easy starting, quiet, and powerful enough, especially compared to the last two stroke I owned which was a 40/28 jet. I know that not a apples to apples comparison but way more power than my old two stroke. By myself I have hit 36 mph downstream. I have an 1852 blazer SS .80 gauge. When I purchased it last year, it had 3 yr warranty and for right at 100 bucks I got two more additional years of warranty for total of 5 yrs. on the rivers I run in Missouri the Mercury by far is most popular motor. We have motor restriction of 40 hp and below so the 60/40 are king. Not saying the tohatsu are bad cause they aren't, I hear great things about them but the Mercury was just easier on my pocket book and it gets me up and down the river and to my fishing spots. It also carries a load pretty well. Very pleased with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No dealers near here know about setting up a jet, so will take to shop in TN where the hull is getting some mods.

Nearly went to boat show down east this weekend to get a Tohatsu at a discount. After talking with the shop this morning, the controls on the Merc are much more to my liking, thanks for the tip. With two turbines running, it can get tricky without hands and eyes forward.

The factory rep just emailed that the Tohatsu has a multi function tiller handle like the Mercs, but the Merc is still almost a grand under the show price of the Tohatsu. And there's three Merc dealers within 30 minutes of here.

Pulled the trigger on a Tohatsu at a boat show deal, about a grand less than anywhere else I shopped. Both the regional factory rep and the dealer have been really good to move the motor a couple hours west to TN where the hull sits and the jet shop will mount it.
The new motors have a similar tiller to Merc's big tiller. Everything is on there, no reaching around and back.

jtf, what shop are you using to work on your boat? I live in WNC and would love to know a good shop that sets up jets.

Mike Watson Welding, Bluff City, TN. Mike called yesterday, my hull is in the line. He said it was a good time because his boat projects are booked through Feb.

The motor is almost through break-in, and it is almost too fast, 30+mph with gear/fuel and me. I'm sure it power a larger hull. The tiller handle is like the Merc big handle except it is mounted in the middle. The controls are set up to operate left handed. It is somewhat high to front, that may be an adjustment that can be made. Everything is easy to reach, cranks with a bump of the key and not too loud, it's the two stroke model.

Being that much power may be a blessing. Usually there is a "sweet spot" 1-1500K below max RPMs on a two stroke you can run that will only slow you 5-7 MPH yet cut your fuel consumption from WOT almost in half. You may have hit on the perfect size motor for your boat.

just wait if you ever have an occupant or two any amount of gear and a cooler you'll be glad to have the extra. My boat with just me goes a little over 30 and comes out of the hole great it's a heavy hull and has taken some good hits a lighter hull would be much faster, but different story. But if I have the women with me and a buddy fishing which in turn means a cooler with more drinks for the day most likely the dog too and some water in a livewell cooler it's just enough I wouldn't want any less engine or it would be a dog. Load really kills jets. two guys cooler and gear is perfect in my boat three with gear is fine but anymore and it really suffers. With that said for what it is it's good 15ft boat I can put three guys, cooler, fishing gear, dog, and have a cooler livewell with 10-20 gals in it and do 24-25mph still. I don't know what your usual load is, but heavy loads kill smaller jet performance.

I like a Tohatsu TLDI 2 stroke but the Tohatsu factory jet is a50/35. You can buy a Mercury 60/40 for $5700. I think that is a better value and it’s a 4 stroke. The TLDI 2 strokes are made up to 115 HP. If you buy a prop motor then order a jet drive, you can tailor the motor to you power needs. I ran a 70 TLDI with jet and prop drive and it performed like a90 Yamaha that was on the same hull design.

Latest posts