new 2017 merc 60/40 factory jet smoking

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hanker71

Reaction score
i picked up a new blazer with a factory merc 40 jet that has smoked at start up since day 1.i called the dealer and asked them about it and was told it was normal and would most likely go away by 50 hrs.i have 12 hrs on it now.just curious if anybody else has experienced this?

Just bought a new mercury 60/40 and have about 5 hours on it and I've seen no smoke. Wouldn't think a four stroke would have any at all.

Glad you got your new boat. I remember you had a 18ft ETEC and were gonna upgrade. Post some pics!! Who is the dealer?

What color is the smoke? I will occasionally see a little black smoke in the exhaust of my motor at the first start up of the day in cold weather. I've never worried about it because it only lasts a few seconds and doesn't do it again for the rest of the day. I just figured it was from a slightly rich fuel to air mixture because of the cold temperature. It's definitely not oil smoke. Mine has 10.3 hours on it.

hey guys!...well after a lot of google-foo i realized that i was doing something wrong!i never would tilt my engine to positive trim when the engine was off,not in use.i started to do this and it seems the smoke went away.ive used the boat a few times since figuring this out and all is good!///except i feel the motor should spin higher rpm.i only get 5180 rpm.the engine now has 20 hrs on it...overall,im very happy with this new rig!i get 27 up stream fully loaded and 30 downstream with 2 adults and to much stuff!..i got the boat from west boat shop,they are extremly nice guys and would buy again from them!

Attachments

• new blazer.jpg
    new blazer.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 4,877
Your RPM's sound low but your speed sounds good. I am going to guess your tach is wrong and you are spinning higher than it actually reads.

mine has a merc smart craft gayge as well..does anybody do impeller work on these?if we got a extra 300 rpm out of it i would think that woould be 2-3 mph?

Latest posts