2001 yamaha jet to prop

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckmaster27012

Reaction score
I don't even know if this is possible, just checking to see if somebody has ever tried to do this? Probably will be giving Yamaha a call soon to see if they can help. I was looking at putting a prop on motor during spring fall when water is higher. My only issue is its a factory jet so I its doesn't have the shift linkage or the internals in the motor to hook it so I don't know if it would ever be possible. May just sell this motor and get another one. Its a Blazer jet boat with 27 inch transom so I know I will have to get a jack plate to get it up and down to the right height.

Motor is a 2001 Yamaha 115TJRZ

Thanks for feedback

I would think that you should be able to do this no problem. All it should take would be a traditional lower unit if I had to guess.

eshaw said:
I would think that you should be able to do this no problem. All it should take would be a traditional lower unit if I had to guess.

You would guess wrong. Read the original post a little more closely. A factory jet doesn't have the shift mechanism required to change gears in a prop lower.

IMHO, Andy has the right idea.

yea that be easiest but always looking at options, the jet doesn't like the open water of the lake and burns more fuel. only need the jet at most 2 months of the time I'm fishing.

one more question is it possible to put a 25 inch shft prop lower unit on a motor that a 20 inch shaft jet? that would save from needing a jack plate.

Which part of VA are you in buckmaster? Maybe you don't really need a jet. I see a lot of people with jet drives on my home lake (Buggs Island aka Kerr Lake) that really don't need them because they never take their boats in rocks or water less than a 18"-24" deep.

buckmaster27012 said:
yea that be easiest but always looking at options, the jet doesn't like the open water of the lake and burns more fuel. only need the jet at most 2 months of the time I'm fishing.

one more question is it possible to put a 25 inch shft prop lower unit on a motor that a 20 inch shaft jet? that would save from needing a jack plate.

If you only need a jet 2 months of the year, find a fishing buddy with a jet, then sell your jet and buy a prop motor for your boat. :D

The answer to your second question is no. If you do decide to buy a prop motor, you could buy one with a 25" shaft if you don't want to use a jack plate.

You would need a bay kit to do what your thinking of. If you mostly need a prop then stick with a prop. You gotta get a boat that works for you 80-90% of the time the other 10-20% of the time you just deal with your boat not being perfect for the situation. That or have multiple boats to always have the right one for the job. I have a prop lower for my engine and use a jack plate for the handful of times when I really need a prop but my motor didn't start life as a jet so it had the shifter linkages. Yours could be hard to find all that stuff for cheaply. For what a prop lower, linkages, jack plate would run you, you could probably about buy a prop boat for.

To convert a factory jet to a prop drive requires several additional parts that do not come with a factory jet. It is more economical to buy a prop motor and then buy a jet drive.

Also on the EFI yamaha's the ECU is different...in that the timing and injection are mapped differently because of the lack of a true "neutral" on the jet-specific motors. That is why dealers won't sell you a prop drive motor and convert it to a jet. You have to order it as a specific jet, for instance "F40JEHA". It looks JUST like a short shaft 40 (which is not made to my knowledge) but doesn't have shift linkage and the ECU is completely different, among other subtleties. We have done it..convert a prop EFI motor to jet, and it doesn't work nearly as well as getting a jet-specific motor. Nowhere near as well to be honest. One big problem was the fast idle and cold-start enrichment mapping in the ECU, with the jet, you were idling with a load against it at 1500 RPM, and about 7-8 mph if you had it in "forward gear". Guy stuck the prop foot back on it and sold it, bought a jet specific F40 and has been absolutely tickled ever since!

Agree totally with handyandy. Get a prop motor if that's what you use most of the time. Switching back and forth will get to be a PITA.

Latest posts