20 hp jet

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stumpalump

Reaction score
Is this jet even worth considering? It's a 20hp which is just like the 18hp's that they built for years.
What size boat will it push? Will it plane a 14 footer? Can you even get parts like impellers for old jets?

2s0nzol.jpg

What is the model number of that motor? Is this motor 20/18hp at the powerhead?

I had a mercury 25/20 jet tiller on a 1648 mod-v (very shallow deadrise). Two guys (140 and 175lbs), one battery, 6 gallons of fuel, a cooler and some fishing gear and we were scooting around at 14mph upriver and 17mph down. Could hit about 20mph flying solo. Had to keep that throttle hammered down in that boat. If I eased up on it less than 7/8-3/4 throttle she would get off plane. Very marginal setup to say the least. Powering through the chutes was out of the question.

A 14' boat will actually take more motor to plane out the same load.

I have had 2 jet boats that performed marginally and will not be living that over again. I wouldn't do it unless you are flying solo and can get that motor real cheap.

Stumpalump said:
Is this jet even worth considering? It's a 20hp which is just like the 18hp's that they built for years.
What size boat will it push? Will it plane a 14 footer? Can you even get parts like impellers for old jets?

I'd pass on it. If it's a 20hp powerhead, then the hp at the jet will be around 14hp. I doubt seriously that it would plane a 14' boat. You can still get some parts for old discontinued jets. Get the model number and call Outboard Jets and ask about price and availability of parts before you buy it. My guess is that an impeller, liner and shipping would cost more than the motor is worth.

if it is a factory jet of some kind it likely is a 25-30hp power head and 20hp at the jet. I wouldn't run that small of an obj unless you have to due to HP restrictions on your water. One case where they are popular is southern missouri where the eleven point river and upper parts of current river have a 25hp restriction. That hp restriction is the only reason I know of why anyone has an obj that small. No one wants one that small as it's barely enough power to get a salmon upstream let alone a boat with two guys. If you do have to run one cause of hp restrictions a long narrow light boat is your best bet.

a 9.9 will plane out a 14' tin boat with ease, no reason if that produces a true 14 hp on the jet that it can't get a 14' tin up and moving at a nice clip. If it doesn't it's just not a true 14 HP conversion. But even a true 10 HP will make you plane unless your a tub yourself (no offense intended).

A 10hp will plane out a light tin with one guy and minimal gear, put a second guy in and/or any normal amount of gear, and it probably won't happen. Unless the op is wanting to run hp restricted waters I wouldn't suggest it. Where are you finding a picture with the red lower?

Crazyboat said:
a 9.9 will plane out a 14' tin boat with ease, no reason if that produces a true 14 hp on the jet that it can't get a 14' tin up and moving at a nice clip. If it doesn't it's just not a true 14 HP conversion. But even a true 10 HP will make you plane unless your a tub yourself (no offense intended).

"With ease" is all relative. I had a 1436 and a strong running 15hp evinrude 2 stroke, and with two guys, a cooler and fishing gear that boat would NOT get on plane. With just me and my gear, she would fly!! Short narrow boats just dont do the job very well.

Another factor that is not being considered is the fact that this is a jet. Put two engines, a prop and a jet side by side, same HP rated at the LOWER UNITS, and the prop motor is going to plane a heavier load better, get it up on plane faster, and have a lot more lower end grunt. With an empty boat you will not see as much of a difference between the two. The torque difference between the two styles of motors is incomparable.

I have to concur with Andy on this one.

Here it is for sale. I'm gonna pass but I'd still would like to cross off an outboard jet off of the bucket list someday.
https://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/boa/d/12ft-valco-aluminium-boat/6365076968.html

craigslist link worked for me idk why the pic isn't showing up for me. If you don't have hp restrictions I wouldn't go less than a 60/40, unless you need to be able to carry the outboard around for some reason ones that small just aren't that useful. Although there are some neat russian inflatable rafts that they run 30hp suzuki outboard jets on that are quiet capable, would be neat to have something like that for portability and remote launch points.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UwAhXE80H8&app=desktop

granted this is their marketing video, but still pretty impressive little setups for being powered by what I believe is 30hp powerhead so only around 20-25hp at the jet.

Seen many older 20 and 25hp jets running the river. You can hear them for MILES--and I'm not joking. Or maybe not quite miles but you hear them for a LONG time before you see it come around the bend. Many are on shallow running river boats that are specifically designed for that type usage..shallow rocky river. Very slow running but they eventually get there, and with lots of noise. The 30hp Jet (40hp powerhead) are most popular and even they're no powerhouse but being most are 4 stroke, they're not NEARLY as loud-and I mean 1/2 as loud. I rented one with a 25hp yamaha powerhead attached to a jet foot and you needed earplugs to run it more than a couple minutes. I hated it. Since then they've switched everything over to newer 4 stroke stuff; and a couple years ago we went back & rented another boat which had a 40/30 Mercury (Tohatsu?) jet and it was 1000x more enjoyable to run.

As I said before they're are some select waters that have HP restrictions only ones I know of are some ozark rivers that limited to 25hp at the jet. That is the only reason I would ever consider running that small of a jet motor or if I wanted a really portable boat and had one of those jet rafts and wanted a clamp on engine that could be carried. That would be it I have to admit one of those rafts would be pretty fun, but I don't have any real need for it.

Latest posts