Winter Storage Jet Outboard

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtf

Reaction score
We will be getting our hard winter cold snap this weekend. Never had a jet pump before. It is trimmed down and that's how my last prop models self-drained.

Does the Tohatsu/jet self-drain? Is there a winter setup to prevent freezing of both the pump and cooling system? Don't have heated storage and put the boat in the water during winter on occasion.

This is a fuel injected two stroke, so no fogging carbs. I think the fuel was run out last trip disconnecting the line and it's non-ethanol.

I've fished jets (Mercury's & Yamaha's) year round and stored them outside for years and never had any problems with water freezing in the motor or the pump. I tilt the motor up and down several times after I get out of the water until the water stops draining out. I leave it trimmed all the way down to store.

I do the same as Larry. Once out of the water tilt the motor up and allow the pump to drain then grease the bearing making sure no water is being forced out. And that's it.

Latest posts