Ideas for New Boat Design

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vol423

Reaction score
I sell boats built for Jet Outboards. They are built for me by a major manufacturer. Mostly what I sell are 1756 and 1856 semi-V hull boats with 4’ front and rear decks, a forward mounted console and 40 to 80 HP jet Outboards. Recently I have ordered them with a rear dry box / livewell in the center front of the rear deck, with fuel and starting battery behind. Behind the front deck is a 16” extension to house trolling motor batteries and loose stuff. The half console sits on top of the extension, leaving a 7 to 8 foot open cockpit. Even though semi-V hulls are faster, flat bottom boats go in the skinniest water. I’m thinking Id like to build some 1756 flat bottom boats with a 4 foot front deck and two rear side seats, with the rest being open. That way the boats could be rigged for tiller, wheel or stick steer. I’d like input on whether buyers would prefer a minimalist layout, or would pay more (about 20%) for storage compartments, walk-on decks and live wells.

I just bought a new Jon with a jet outboard last fall and was very happy that I was able to start with a bare bones hull and have it customized the way I wanted. I passed on the Lowe, Tracker, and other widely available boats because none of them would sell me the boat I wanted. I have no use for live wells and contrary to the way most of the tin boats here are modified, I did not want or need tons of enclosed storage compartments. It seems the members of this site, like me, prefer to customize our boats just the way we want them. I did not have the skills or the desire to do the work myself so being able to work with the custom boat dealer was important.

+1 with Scott - If I was in the market for a new boat I would like to get one that could be upgraded in the future.

So if you can design section-modules that could be installed later, then you would be able to reduce initial price plus get some recurring business.

Just my .02

I just bought a Blazer Sport from Troutt and Sons 2 months ago and I was extremely happy to pick the layout of the boat. I'm a bass fisherman so big decks and room for alot of storage was important. I got a 48in front deck with a 24in extension switch holds my TM battery and all my tackle and full rear deck with center dry box and passenger dry box under the seat and livewell under drivers seat. Lifejackets, fire extinguisher, 40 cal under passenger seat. Rain suit, diaper bag, blanket, and what ever else my wife packs in the center box. Absolutely love this thing!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I'm a fan of a tiller boat, but every person is a little different so having some base layouts for both tiller and console that can be changed and customized for each person I'd say is a plus. Me personally I like having an open hull with a front deck rod box down one side another storage box or two down the other side, which is how my boat is now. Only thing on my boat is I have my fuel under the front deck which I like, but wish it was just a smidge longer with a storage compartment ahead of the fuel tank with a access lid on top the deck. It would make storing my life jackets and anchor in the deck easier. Currently my rod box is on the right side of the boat and I sit on the back of it to drive or stand a lot of times. I need to make a grab handle for standing. The left side has smaller storage box on the side that holds my battery, switch panel, and most wiring goes out from it. Ahead of it is another box the same size on the side, it just a general storage box that has my throw cushion, flares, horn, first aid kit, grease gun for the jet, extra two smoke oil, and various crap I want to keep dry. Like I said my one wish on my boat which my next hull will have will be the hull will be a little bigger most likely 17-18ft rather than 15ft so it can more easily have a longer rod box, little longer front deck for a little more storage in it, and so it can take out four people more easily. So I like the sound of your tiller set up for the most part, but everyone is different.

From Cedar River Scooter "So if you can design section-modules that could be installed later, then you would be able to reduce initial price plus get some recurring business."

Now, that would be a fantastic marketing tool for any boat seller. "Buy it now" and "add sections that fit your needs as time goes on"

I have a bare hull 1652 G3 that I bought a few years ago. I could have bought the same boat all decked out for 50% more but I didn't. I didn't need to go from a Chevy to a Cadillac. They didn't offer a Buick.

Adaptive modules would allow me to get what I want.

rich

I run an 18ft blazer with a 60/40 Mercury 5 stroke. I love open floor plan. I fish in the spring and then just play in the summer with my family along. I have front deck with 15 inch extension. That’s where my tm battery goes along with tackle, life jackets, clothes, etc. in the summer I have quick attach tm and it comes off. I have place on front deck for fishing. Two places for seats in the floor for my kids in the summertime. I have rear deck and one side has starter battery and other side is fuel tank. Two seats in the back that have live wells under them. In the summer, they are dry storage. Usually only one other person fishes with me so only two seats in the boat. When we get to where we fish, take the seats from where they were and add extensions and I have front and rear fishing seats that are elevated. I purchased rod holders from cabelas and had my dealer install on each side of boat about middle ways the length of my boat. It’s not modular like what was stated but kind of is. Lots of stuff quick attach. I have two fish finders, that are also quick attach. They get put up in the summer. The boat dealers here in southern Missouri are great fabricators and can pretty much set your boat up how you want it. This is my 4th jet boat and 3rd new one. I think I have finally got one built/setup how I want it for different uses. There are guys around here that also have quick attach rod boxes. I have not done this yet but might possibly in the future.
aae256690dd751a08e3bd9b459ab96d7.jpg
db5906898ddbc6570033b08cfb983f44.jpg
a706f9bdc06049c879fa5e086c8f4631.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not a welder/fabricator but spent plenty of hours on factory floors and backyard shops. Just back from my guy who is full-time and I'll be posting some pics soon as the 1648 weldbilt is back. There are a few ideas, maybe not what you want? But check out both these driftboat/power boat companies. I've been to both factories.

These companies make a modular system using a side rail. Go to Hyde Boats and and Koffler Boats. Hyde has some great demo vids on ytube. Look at their storage system, boxes, seats, anchor assemblies. Koffler does it too but they make sea craft and power river sleds as well. Hyde makes a river jet.

I own a Hyde Lowpro metal drift boat, and had two Kofflers, one to row and one to motor.

Currently, two of the things we're fabricating for the 1648 weldbilt jon is a drop in hatch, (should have been a seat option from the factory), and a knee brace/leaning post, a drop in that can be removed or used as a seat post. Have always thought anchor systems should be small and easy. Put on the back, side rail or front for rivers.

Imo, the crappy side rail on the wareagle is nothing special and adds little structural value. I owned one for a very short time but they wouldn't support their warranty and it didn't stay in my boat shed very long.

Rich hit the nail on the head with modular systems. The Alweld Marsh series could be a model to use with a modular system. Really most all jons would benefit from the out-west side rail design. When all the storage, seating and anchor systems (off shelf available from https://www.dierksanchors.com/ourstory.html) and other stuff can be manufactured as add-ons of the hull, it becomes a drop-in boat.

These aren't new designs, they exist with many fabricated metal out-west boats, and I'll put them up against ANY jon for strength and longevity.

Attachments

• jay-nicholas-koffler-jet-sled-bow-anchor-release-rope-locker-wpblog.jpg
    jay-nicholas-koffler-jet-sled-bow-anchor-release-rope-locker-wpblog.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 3,780
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-R-sfy5x9h0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPb2taxFZq0

https://kofflerboats.com/

Also a good description of uhmw application

This isn't a good picture but shows enough of my boat which has side rod trays and a side anchor release to the rear. Both Hyde and Koffler web pages have lots of ideas. fishing with jay nicholas has a bunch of pics of his Koffler sleds and Rocky Mtn Trout Boats. https://fishingwithjay.wordpress.com/tag/jay-nicholas/page/5/

As Rich suggests, modular system is ideal for a metal boat! Sometimes I change out the seating and storage.

I agree with the 1756 it's a perfect hull for what I fish easy to haul, use in shallow waters and at the NC coast. The 1860 may be my next one. Alweld offers to make a heavier boat with higher sides/transom and .125" bottoms. I think they call it the Alaskan special order. The Alweld Marsh gets rid of ribs, leaves a bunch of interior room and they make it in flat and modvee. I don't care for their tunnel on it however.

My ramblings suggest...no one hull does it all.

Attachments

• 100_3099.JPG
    100_3099.JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 3,741

Latest posts