Mercury 25hp jet Jon

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bbruch7

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I seen a post that was from 2012agiy had a grizzly tracker 1448 with a 25hp Merc jet. I’m looking at getting that motor and running it on my 1448. Wondering if transom jack is going to be necessary? Or build the transom to the correct height? Is anyone running that set up? I’ve read that plenty of guys do it. Just can’t seem to find the info I’m looking for on how it mounted up. Thanks.

It'll fit the transom, but that motor is a dog imo. I had one on a 15ft Grizzly and it would hardly plane out with two people in it. I like running 14ftrs myself so I run a riveted hull with a 20/25 2 stroke manual start Merc.

Keep in mind that the average riveted plain jane 1448 with 25/20 2 stroke weighs around 375lbs, the 14 ft welded Grizzly with a 4 stroke 25jet weighs about twice as much.

Really? Figured being just 160 pounds and a rated 25 hp efi Figured they would run pretty good. The boat I want to put it on is a riveted Lowe 1448 mt. The boat is super light I have pods on it and have a 06 15 hp 4stroke now that pushes it around just fine. I’m not out to win the bud shoot out by any means. Just want to be able to run skinny water when the river drops.

But it will Got the transom? I’m talking about a new mercury 25 hp factory jet.

I would ask the dealer you are buying the motor from how to set it up correctly. If they're clueless, I think there are some shops in Missouri that specialize in jet outboards. Personally, I think weight distribution is a big factor in performance.

Hope you get it going soon, running skinny water is like a carnival ride - when in doubt, go faster!

I did talk to one dealer. The guy literally shut me down and said it wouldn’t work. I have a 20” transom and a jack plate. I don’t see how it can’t work. Even if i have to build up the back of the boat 5”? What else would they make these small jets for? I understand there are factory built boats for jet motors but there has to be plenty of people doing this I would think.

It'll work, 20" transom is all you need. You might need to put it up an inch over the transom to get it right, but you can bolt that. If you are set on doing it lose the jack plate so that the boot is as close to the boat as you can get it.

I never messed with pods, so that may have something to do with the guys concern.

I'd like to hear more about peoples experience with the pods on 1448s

I don't know about pods on a 1448 but if you dig through here you can find my thread where I did a pretty detailed write up and pictures of putting pods on my 1654. That motor should work fine on your boat just don't load it heavy about all any 25hp jet will push is two guys and some fishing gear. Your best off as it has already been said mounting right on the transom if you can. If you need your transom to be higher there should be shops around that could weld an extension one. Heck I've seen guys bolt a 2x12 to the transom and work for the smaller engines. I wouldn't recommend that, but I guess if times are tight and that gets you on the water that's your choice.

If your transom is already 20" it should work that little 25hp jet should be available as a short shaft. Short shaft jets need a 20" transom roughly.

Thanks everyone! I love the pods on my 1448. I noticed a huge difference in planning out. My little 15hp 4 stroke prop will plain out and do 14mph with 2 people in it. It wouldn’t get out of the water before the pods.
I’m still on the fence of the 25 hp jet. I would just love for someone who actually has the same set up to chime in. It’s a riveted boat so it’s light and max hp is 25. For the small rivers I run I really don’t need a bigger boat but I’m thinking I might be better off holding out and finding a boat setup with a jet already.

Thanks everyone! I love the pods on my 1448. I noticed a huge difference in planning out. My little 15hp 4 stroke prop will plain out and do 14mph with 2 people in it. It wouldn’t get out of the water before the pods.
I’m still on the fence of the 25 hp jet. I would just love for someone who actually has the same set up to chime in. It’s a riveted boat so it’s light and max hp is 25. For the small rivers I run I really don’t need a bigger boat but I’m thinking I might be better off holding out and finding a boat setup with a jet already.
This is a little late to the party but I run a 14/60 riveted, without pods, with a 2017 Merc 25 hp jet. It does 27 with 1 adult up the meramac river, or 19 with small family of 5 and a dog.

I’d like to know how those pods would work on it as the flotation is nill in the back.

Latest posts